Much ado about nothing / [William Shakespeare] ; with an introduction updated by Travis D. Williams, University of Rhode Island ; edited by F.H. Mares.
- Standardized Title:
- Much ado about nothing
- Third edition.
- Cambridge, United Kingdom ; New York, NY, USA : Cambridge University Press, 2018. , ©2018
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. 1984. Cambridge University Press. Works.
The New Cambridge Shakespeare
xvi, 183 pages : illustrations, portraits ; 24 cm.
- Shakespeare, William 1564-1616 Much ado about nothing
Rejection (Psychology) -- Drama.
Messina (Italy) -- Drama.
Conspiracies -- Drama.
Courtship -- Drama.
Italy -- Messina.
- "Much Ado About Nothing has always been popular on the stage. This edition pays especial attention to the history and range of theatrical interpretation, in which famous actors, from the time of Garrick to the present, have appeared as the sparring lovers Benedick and Beatrice. A full commentary includes annotation of the many sexual jokes in the play that have been obscured by the complexity of Elizabethan language. In this new edition, Travis D. Williams reviews recent stage, television, film and critical interpretations of the play, considering treatment of the play's special interest in language, bodies and gender." -- Publisher's description.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Mares, F. H. (Francis Hugh), editor.
Williams, Travis D., writer of introduction.
- Publisher Number: