Photography and cultural heritage in the age of nationalisms : Europe's eastern borderlands (1867-1945) / Ewa Manikowska.
- London, UK ; New York, NY, USA : Bloomsbury Visual Arts, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing Plc, 2019.
- Photography, history: history, photography.
Photography, history: history, photography
xvi, 240 pages, 4 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations ; 26 cm.
- Photography -- Europe, Eastern -- History -- 19th century.
Photography -- Europe, Eastern -- History -- 20th century.
Europe, Eastern -- Social life and customs.
Nationalism -- Europe, Eastern -- History.
Manners and customs.
- "This book examines the role of photography as a powerful language of expressing collective identities in Eastern Europe during the period of dramatic socio-political transformation associated with the slow rise of national and ethnic consciousness, the dawn of empire and the outbreak of the two World Wars. From the 1867 All-Russian Ethnographic Exhibition to the war-time Nazi scientific surveys, this innovative account looks closely at how photographic practices and records were applied, borrowed, appropriated, transmitted to exert or subvert power, and used as a tool in negotiating collective identities. By juxtaposing photography with other visual and non-visual heritage discourses and practices, this book offers both a new perspective in the field of East European studies and a novel approach to the history of photography."--Provided by publisher.
The empire looks westward : Russia's national and imperial identity and it's western and Polish borderlands
Within the imperial frameworks and under Western influences : the making of cultural heritage of a stateless nation
On the crossroad of the West and the East : the multi-ethnic cultural landscape of Eastern Galicia and the Pale of Settlement
Picturing Polish art patrimony in the Second Polish Republic : the legacy of the nineteenth-century atlas tradition
The German vision of the Eastern Europe at the time of the two world wars
Mapping the new political order : cultural heritage and photography during the Post-First World War peace negotiations
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|