Buckingham Palace : the interiors / text and photographs by Ashley Hicks ; [foreword by HRH The Prince of Wales].
- New York ; London : Rizzoli, 2018. , ©2018
255 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), plans ; 32 cm
- Buckingham Palace (London, England)
Buckingham Palace (London, England) -- Pictorial works.
Interior decoration -- England -- London.
Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Dwellings.
Interior decoration -- England -- London -- Pictorial works.
Great Britain -- Kings and rulers -- Dwellings -- Pictorial works.
Palaces -- Great Britain.
Buckingham Palace (London, England)
Kings and rulers -- Dwellings.
England -- London.
- Local subjects:
- Interior design -- England.
Buckingham Palace (London, England.)
Palaces -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Kings and rulers.
- "With rare access, interior designer and artist Ashley Hicks has photographed the State Rooms of Buckingham Palace, home of Britain's monarch since 1837. An important representation of Regency, Victorian, and Edwardian styles, the palace is the work of such noted architects as John Nash. Hicks's eye brings a vibrant take on the formal spaces, capturing the magnificent rooms furnished with treasures from the Royal Collection. Starting at the Grand Staircase, Hicks leads us through the opulently decorated State Rooms, which include the White Drawing Room and the Blue Drawing Room that both overlook the palace gardens; the Ballroom, which is the setting for twenty investiture ceremonies each year; and the Throne Room, used by Queen Victoria for spectacular costume balls in the 1840s. The long, skylit Picture Gallery is hung with important works of art in the Royal Collection by Rembrandt, Rubens, Poussin, van Dyck, Vermeer, and Canaletto, among others. Decorative furnishings from George IV's exotic Brighton Pavilion lend a fanciful turn to many of the rooms. This intimate tour through the Buckingham Palace State Rooms is a necessary addition to the libraries of devotees of the royal family, English architecture, decoration, and the fine arts in general"--Provided by publisher.
- Foreword / HRH the Prince of Wales
From the queen's house to Buckingham Palace
Part I. Grand hall ; Grand staircase ; Green drawing room ; Throne room ; Picture gallery ; East gallery
Part II. Marble hall & minister's staircase ; Royal closet ; White drawing room ; Music room ; Blue drawing room ; State dining room ; West gallery ; Ballroom
Part III. Ambassadors' entrance ; Bow room ; 1844 & 1855 rooms ; Yellow drawing room ; Principal corridor ; Centre room ; Chinese dining room.
- "In association with Royal Collection Trust"--Title page.
Illustrations (plans) on lining-papers.
- Charles, Prince of Wales, 1948- writer of foreword.
Royal Collection Trust.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|