The portable Milton / edited, and with an introduction, by Douglas Bush.
- [Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England ; New York] : Penguin Books, . (Kingsport, Tennessee : Printed by Kingsport Press, Inc.)
- Viking portable library.
The Viking Portable Library
vii, , 693,  pages ; 19 cm.
- English poetry.
- Local subjects:
- Potok, Adena (donor) (Potok Collection copy)
Potok, Chaim (autograph) (Potok Collection copy)
- Place of Publication:
- England Middlesex.
United States New York (State) New York (City)
United States Tennessee Kingsport.
- I. Editor's Note; Early Poems, 1628-1640. At a vaction exercise in the college (extract); Elegy V: On the coming of spring; Song: On May morning; Elegy VI: To Charles Diodati, Visiting in the country; On the morning of Christ's nativity; On Shakespeare; L'Allegro; Il Penseroso; Arcades; Sonnet VII: How soon hath Time; Comus; Lycidas; Lament for Damon
II. Prose Works and Sonnets, 1642-1658. Editor's Note; The reason of church government urged against prelaty (extract); An apology to Smectymmus (extract); Of education; Areopagitica; Second defense of the English people (extracts)
Sonnets. VIII. When the Assault was intended to the city; X. To the Lady Margaret Ley; XI. On the Dtraction which followed upon my writing certain treatises; XII. On the Same ("I did but prompt the age"); On the New Forces of Conscience under the Long Parliament; XIII. To Mr. H. Lawes, on His Airs; XV. On the Lord General Fairfax at the Siege of Colchester; XIX. When I consider how my light is spent; XVI. To the Lord General Cromwell; XVII. To Sir Henry Vane the Younger; XVIII. On the Late Massacre in Piemont; XX. Lawrence, of virtuous father virtuous son; XXI. Cyriack, whose grandsire on the royal bench; XXII. To Mr. Cyriack Skinner upon His Blindness; XXIII. Methought I saw my late espoused saint
III. The Major Poems. Editor's Note; Paradise Lost; Paradise Regained; Samson Agonistes.
- "First published by The Viking Press 1949. Paperbound edition published by The Viking Press 1955. Reprinted 1957 ... Published in Penguin Books 1976."
"Set in Linotype Caledonia."
"With revised bibliography"--Cover.
"This volume contains the complete text of Milton's major poems and as many as possible of the minor ones ... The texts of verse and prose are arranged in chronological order (in accordance with known dates or probabilities), with the exception of the sonnets of 1642-58. which are grouped together."--Note.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 28-33).
- Local notes:
- Potok Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries by Adena Potok.
Potok Collection copy has autograph of "Chaim Potok 1978".
Potok Collection copy is 1977 reprint.
- Penn Chronology:
- Bush, Douglas, 1896-1983.
The Library of Chaim Potok (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|