Smoke and ashes : a novel / Abir Mukherjee.
- Other Title:
- Smoke & ashes
- First Pegasus Books hardcover edition.
- New York : Pegasus Books, 2019. , ©2019
332 pages ; 24 cm
- Murder -- Investigation -- Fiction.
British -- India -- Kolkata -- Fiction.
Murder -- Investigation.
British Occupation of India (1765-1947)
India -- History -- British occupation, 1765-1947 -- Fiction.
India -- Kolkata.
- Detective and mystery fiction.
Detective and mystery fiction.
- India, 1921. Haunted by his memories of World War I, Captain Sam Wyndham is battling a serious addiction to opium that he must keep secret from his superiors in the Calcutta police force. When Sam is summoned to investigate a grisly murder, he is stunned at the sight of the body: he's seen this before. Last night, in a drug addled haze, he stumbled across a corpse with the same ritualistic injuries. It seems like there's a deranged killer on the loose. Unfortunately for Sam, the corpse was in an opium den--and revealing his presence there could cost him his career. With the aid of his quick-witted Indian Sergeant, Surrender-Not Banerjee, Sam must try to solve the two murders, all the while keeping his personal demons secret, before somebody else turns up dead.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Barry F. Wiksten book fund bookplate.
- Other Edition:
- Reproduction of: . 9781911215141 Mukherjee, Abir. London : Harvill Secker, 2018
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|