Vienna 1900 complete / Christian Brandstätter, Daniela Gregori, Rainer Metzger ; translated from German by David H. Wilson.
- New York, New York : Thames & Hudson, 2018. , ©2018
543 pages : illustrations (some color) ; 32 cm
- Arts, Austrian -- Austria -- Vienna -- 20th century.
Art, Austrian -- 20th century.
Modernism (Art) -- Austria -- Vienna.
Vienna (Austria) -- Civilization -- 20th century.
Vienna (Austria) -- Intellectual life -- 20th century.
ART / European.
Austria -- Vienna.
- Translated from German.
- At the turn of the 20th century, Vienna became an epicentre for new thought. A multi-disciplinary environment emerged where music, writing and intellectual thought all flourished, often brought together in the capital's famous coffee houses. This was the time of Freud and Wittgenstein, of Mahler and Schoenberg, and of the Secession (1897-1905), the modern movement led by Klimt, Josef Hoffmann and Koloman Moser that aimed to bring different arts together in a "Gesamtkunstwerk", a total work of art; of Jugendstil, Vienna's Art Nouveau; and of the Wiener Werkstatte, the workshop founded in 1903 by Moser and Hoffmann that revolutionized the decorative and graphic arts. There have been many exhibitions and publications devoted to this efflorescence, and even more monographs devoted to its key players. None, however, brings together a selection of visual material from across the different artistic disciplines as significant as this current volume, curated and authored by three leading scholars of the period. The book covers all areas of production: painting and drawing; decorative arts and crafts; applied art and book design; fashion, photography and architecture. In each section the illustrations take the lead, creating an invaluable visual reference point for all those eager to identify a given category of the arts within this period, particularly in the field of the decorative arts, from ceramics to glass, silverwork, furniture, jewelry; and graphic arts, from book design to posters and postcards. There are also many less familiar works in the field of fashion and photography, and a particular focus is given to the role of women in all disciplines of the time.
- Machine generated contents note: pt. 1 PAINTING AND DRAWING
Klimt Group And The Kunstschau
pt. 2 APPLIED AND DECORATIVE ARTS
Wiener Werkstatte Interiors
Book Design And Graphic Art By The Wiener Werkstatte
Ludwig Heinrich Dungnickel
Carl Otto Czeschka
Eduard Joeef Wimmer-Wisgrill
Emilie Floge And The Floge Sisters' Salon
Dora Kallmus (Madame D'Ora)
Jewelry And Accessories
Graphic Design And The Art Of The Book
Franz Von Zulow
Kolo (Koloman) Moser
pt. 3 ARCHITECTURE
Doseph Maria Olbrich
Epilogue: From Vienna To The World
Z: ARTISTS, COMPANIES AND INSTITUTIONS.
- "With over 1,250 illustrations."
Includes bibliographical references (pages 524-531) and index.
- Gregori, Daniela, 1969- author.
Metzger, Rainer, author.
Wilson, David Henry, 1937- translator.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|