Judgment in the Victorian age / edited by James Gregory, Daniel J.R. Grey and Annika Bautz.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019. , ©2019
x, 266 pages ; 25 cm
- Culture and law -- History -- 19th century.
Great Britain -- History -- Victoria, 1837-1901.
Judgment -- Social aspects.
Culture and law.
- "This volume concerns judges, judgment and judgmentalism. It studies the Victorians as judges across a range of important fields, including the legal and aesthetic spheres, and within literature. It examines how various specialist forms of judgment were conceived and operated, and how the propensity to be judgmental was viewed"-- Provided by publisher.
- Cartes de visite and the first mass media photographic images of the English judiciary : continuity and change / Leslie J. Moran
Sir Redmond Barry and the trial of Ned Kelly : representing the judge and judgment in nineteenth-century Australia / Alice Richardson
The emotional reactions of judges in cases of maternal child murder in England, 1840-1900 / Alison Pedley
"What will most tend towards morality" : Sir Cresswell Cresswell and the divorce court, 1858-1863 / Gail Savage
"Infamous falsehoods" : judges, perjury, and affiliation trials in England, 1855-1930 / Ginger Frost
Authoritative judgments in a provincial town : responses to everyday offending in Plymouth 1860-1900 / Kim Stevenson and Iain Channing
Judging the judges : the image of the judge in the popular illustrated press / Craig Newbery-Jones
The matter of judgment : comparing gendered perspectives on Victorian legal culture in popular literature / Judith Rowbotham
The operation and representation of art judgment / James Gregory
Judging by the hand : handwriting and character in Victorian literary culture / Karin Koehler
"They will not read it, but their sons & daughters may" : judging Percy Shelley's Queen Mab (1813) in the nineteenth century / Cian Duffy.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Gregory, James (Historian), editor.
Grey, Daniel J.R., editor.
Bautz, Annika, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|