The devil's mortal weapons : an anthology of late medieval and Protestant vernacular theology and popular culture / Joanna Miles.
- Toronto, Ontario : Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies, 
xv, 400 pages ; 23 cm
- Reformation -- England -- Sources.
Protestantism -- England -- History -- 16th century -- Sources.
Protestantism -- England -- History -- 17th century -- Sources.
Christian literature, English -- Sources.
England -- Church history -- 16th century -- Sources.
England -- Church history -- 17th century -- Sources.
England -- Social life and customs -- 16th century -- Sources.
England -- Social life and customs -- 17th century -- Sources.
Christian literature, English.
Manners and customs.
- Church history.
- "This book gathers late medieval and Protestant texts which explore the permeable contrasts and boundaries within a broadly defined vernacular theology of late medieval and seventeenth-century England and New England. The volume explores connections between pre- and post-Reformation notions of sin, body, emotion, mind, and spiritual and physical health, and by pairing in each instance a pre- and post-Reformation work concerned with a given topic aims to reveal the delicate patterns of continuity and discontinuity between a broadly conceived religiosity, culture, and literature of late medieval England and early modern Protestantism. Interpretation of these patterns is left to the reader, and the construction of the volume encourages reading both within and outside of the structure within which the texts are placed, in each case with additional reading recommended to further the interpretive outlook appropriate for a text or theme."-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Other format:
- Miles, Joanna, 1986- Devil's mortal weapons.:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|