On art / Ilya Kabakov ; edited with an introduction by Matthew Jesse Jackson ; translated by Antonina W. Bouis and Cynthia Martin with Matthew Jesse Jackson.
- Standardized Title:
- Essays. Selections. English. 2018
- Chicago ; London : The University of Chicago Press, 2018. , ©2018
xii, 367 pages ; 23 cm
Art, Modern -- 20th century.
Art -- Philosophy.
Art -- Philosophy.
ART / General.
- "This volume offers for the first time in English the most significant texts written by the Russian conceptual artist, performer, and painter Ilya Kabakov. The writings have been expressly selected for this English-language volume; there exists no equivalent volume in any language."--Provided by publisher.
- Introduction / Matthew Jesse Jackson
Culture, "I," "it," and Favorsky's light ("rhombus")
Nozdrev and Pliushkin
. . . Everything is in the turning of the pages
The creator looks at his work twice
Dust, dirt, and garbage (dust as an object of contemplation)
Discourse on the perception of the three layers, three levels, into which an ordinary, anonymous written product
notices, slips, menus, bills, tickets, etc.
may be broken down
Not everyone will be taken into the future
Park of culture
From the 1960s and the 1970s: notes on unofficial life in Moscow
From an apologia for personalism in the art of the 1960s: an impassioned monologue on 23 June 1986
Conceptualism in Russia
Edge, border, crack
Art has no unloved children
How I became a character myself
A story about a "culturally relocated" individual
From on "total" installation
Text as the foundation of visual expression
The spirit of music
Public projects, or the spirit of a place
Why was it necessary to use the "character" device for the exhibition rather than signing my own name?
Nikolai Petrovich (commentary)
- Translated from the Russian.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Jackson, Matthew Jesse, editor, writer of introduction, translator.
Bouis, Antonina W., translator.
Martin, Cynthia L. (Russian teacher), translator.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|