Magic in Apuleius' ›Apologia‹ [electronic resource] : Understanding the charges and the forensic strategies in Apuleius' speech / Leonardo Costantini.
- De Gruyter
Berlin ; Boston : De Gruyter, 
- Beiträge zur Altertumskunde ; 373
1 online resource (301 pages).
- Local subjects:
- ancient magic.
- Electronic books.
- In English.
- System Details:
- text file PDF
- Despite the growing interest in Apuleius' Apologia or Pro se de magia, a speech he delivered in AD 158/159 to defend himself against the charge of being a magus, the only comprehensive study on this speech and magic to date is that by Adam Abt (1908). The aim of this volume is to shed new light on the extent to which Apuleius' speech reveals his own knowledge of magic, and on the implications of the dangerous allegations brought against Apuleius. By analysing the Apologia sequentially, the author does not only reassess Abt's analysis but proposes a new reconstruction of the prosecution's case, arguing that it is heavily distorted by Apuleius. Since ancient magic is the main topic of this speech, an extensive discussion of the topic is provided, offering a new semantic taxonomy of magus and its cognates. Finally, this volume also explores Apuleius' forensic techniques and the Platonic ideology underpinning his speech. It is proposed that a Platonising reasoning - distinguishing between higher and lower concepts - lies at the core of Apuleius' rhetorical strategy, and that Apuleius aims to charm the judge, the audience and, ultimately, his readers with the irresistible power of his arguments.
List of Abbreviations
2. Magic in the Apologia: A Matter of Terminology and Meaning
3. Apuleius the Lustful Magus
4. The Core of the Defence-Speech
5. Love, Sea Creatures, and Literary Magic
6. Sea Creatures for the Seduction of Pudentilla
7. The Noxiousness of Apuleius' Spells
8. The Pollution of Pontianus' Lares
9. Occult Nocturnal Activities
10. Apuleius the Necromancer
11. The Allegations Concerning the Seduction of and Wedding with Pudentilla
- Description based on online resource; title from PDF title page (publisher's Web site, viewed 23. Jan 2019).
- Publisher Number:
- 10.1515/9783110617528 doi
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|