The memoirs of Signor Gaudentio di Lucca : taken from his confession and examination before the fathers of the Inquisition at Bologna in Italy : making a discovery of an unknown country in the midst of the vast desarts of Africa, as ancient, populous, and civilized, as the Chinese : with an account of their antiquity, origine, religion, customs, polity, &c. and the manner how they got first over those vast desarts : interspersed with several most surprizing and curious Incidents / copied from the original manuscript kept in St. Mark’s Library at Venice ; with critical notes of the learned Signor Rhedi, late library-keeper of the said library ; to which is prefixed a letter of the secretary of the Inquisition, to the same Signor Rhedi, giving an account of the manner and causes of his being seized.
- Standardized Title:
- Memoirs of Sigr. Gaudentio di Lucca
- Dublin : Re-printed by, and for George Faulkner, MDCCXXXVIII 
xii, 310,  p. ; 17 cm (12mo)
- nahe t.to eris weof (3) 1738 (R)
- Utopias -- Early works to 1800.
English fiction -- 18th century.
Voyages, Imaginary -- Early works to 1800.
- Place of Publication:
- Ireland Dublin.
- "In fact written in English by Simon Berington. Sometimes wrongly attributed to Bishop Berkeley."--ESTC. Cf. also P.B. Gove, Imaginary voyage in prose fiction, p. 298-299, and T.E. Jessop, Bibliography of George Berkeley, 225.
First issued: London, 1737, "translated by E.T. gent." Later editions have title: The adventures of Signor Gaudentio di Lucca.
Signatures: [A]⁶ B-O¹².
Woodcut factotums, head-pieces and tail-piece.
Type ornament head-piece.
- Local notes:
- RBC copy has ms. note in pencil on leaf E9r.
RBC copy purchased for the Penn Libraries in 2019 from Antiquates Fine & Rare Books.
RBC copy has autograph ("J.D. Nesbitt") at head of title leaf.
- Penn Provenance:
- Nesbitt, J. D. (autograph) (RBC copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Cited in:
- ESTC T155079
- Berkeley, George, 1685-1753, attributed name.
Faulkner, George, 1699?-1775, printer.
Collection of British and American Fiction, 1660-1830 (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|