Anti-Islamic protest in the UK : policy responses to the far right / William Allchorn.
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2019.
- Routledge studies in extremism and democracy.
Routledge studies in extremism and democracy
x, 189 pages ; 23 cm.
- English Defence League.
Britain First (Political party)
Islamophobia -- Government policy -- Great Britain.
Right-wing extremists -- Government policy -- Great Britain.
Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 2007-
- "Demonstrations by far-right groups, such as the English Defence League, Britain First and PEGIDA, have caused considerable social and civic unrest in UK cities for nearly a decade. But how should policymakers respond to far-right and anti-Muslim activism? Drawing on extensive primary research with stakeholders, local authorities and policymakers, this book investigates the political, socio-economic and historic trends that fuel this form of political extremism across the UK. It also maps the different types of policy responses available to local politicians, police forces and behind-the-scenes policy officials involved in the day-to-day management of anti-Islamic street protest. The author demonstrates that it is only through developing successful countermeasures in the realm of politics, security and community-based politics that politicians, police and state actors will truly get to grips with this new far-right activism"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction: Why policy responses to the EDL and Britain First?
Context: the rise of anti-Islamic protest and the evolution of the UK far right
What policy responses? UK national policy responses and localised countermeasures in relation to anti-Islamic protest
"Where it all began": policy responses to the EDL and Britain first in Luton
Early responses to anti-Islamic protest: policy responses to the EDL and Britain First in Birmingham
West Yorkshire's response to anti-Islamic protest: policy responses to the EDL and Britain First in Bradford
"Somewhere near the Clock Tower": policy responses to the EDL and Britain First in Leicester
Anti-Islamic protest in London's East end: policy responses to the EDL and Britain First in tower hamlets
Conclusion: Key findings, recommendations and future responses.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Allchorn, William, author. Anti-Islamic protest in the UK
9781351387668 (ePub ebook)
9781351387675 (PDF ebook)
9781351387651 (Mobipocket ebook)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|