Cities, Railways, Modernities : London, Paris, and the Nineteenth Century / Carlos López Galviz.
- Other Title:
- Cities, Railways, Modernities : London, Paris, and the 19th Century
- New York, NY : Routledge, 2019. , ©2019
- Routledge advances in urban history ; 4
xv, 294 pages ; 24 cm.
- Urban policy -- England -- London -- History -- 19th century.
Urban policy -- France -- Paris -- History -- 19th century.
London (England) -- History -- 19th century.
Paris (France) -- History -- 19th century.
Subways -- England -- London -- History -- 19th century.
Subways -- France -- Paris -- History -- 19th century.
England -- London.
France -- Paris.
- "Cities, Railways, Modernities chronicles the transformation that London and Paris experienced during the 19th century through the lens of the London Underground and the Paris Métro. By highlighting the multiple ways in which the future of the two cities was imagined and the role that railways played in that process, it challenges and refines two of the most dominant myths of urban modernity: a planned Paris and an unplanned London. The book recovers a significant body of work around the ideas, the plans, the context, and the building of metropolitan railways in the two cities to provide new insights into the relationship of transport technologies and urban change during the 19th century.''--Provided by publisher.
- Past futures
Circulation and improvement
Lines and circles
Steam and light
Modernities, or, remembering future events.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: López Galviz, Carlos, author. Cities, Railways, Modernities
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|