At face value & beyond [electronic resource] : photographic constructions of reality / Monika Schwärzler.
- Other Title:
- Knowledge Unlatched.
- [Bielefeld] : Transcript Verlag, 2016.
- Image ; volume 75
1 online resource (187 pages) : illustrations (some color)
- Photography -- Appreciation.
Visual communication in art.
- How to account for the peculiar attraction of certain photos? How to pinpoint the specific use of images in particular contexts? Monika Schwärzler presents a variety of photographic case studies exploring visual phenomena from the point of view of media analysis, as well as from sociological, aesthetic, and psychoanalytic perspectives. The topics range from a new reading of Thomas Struth's street photographs to CERN photos with their charged rhetoric, from the assault of photographic close-ups to speculations on an anonymous slide collection featuring a woman with an ever-present white handbag. The book is intended for an audience receptive to the analytical appeal of images, prepared to go beyond what can be taken at face value.-- Provided by publisher.
Conscious and Semi-Conscious States of the Camera: Comments on a History of Photographic Parapraxes
Dressed to Suffer and Redeem: Staged Photography Featuring Biblical Narratives
Blocked View and Impeded Vision: An Affective Response to the Photographs of Maria Hahnenkamp and Thomas Struth
Unedited Glamor: The Vienna Opera Ball and Its Rendition by Network Cameras
Lost in Pleasure: Mad Joy in Images of Youth Culture
Death Can Wait: Images of Old Age and Dying in Austrian Hospice Campaigns
"The Beast": On the Photographic Staging of the Large Hadron Collider at the Nuclear Research Center in Geneva
Denigrative Views: On the Deconstruction of Visages in Print Media
The White Handbag: Photography and Ownership
- OCLC-licensed vendor bibliographic record.
- Local notes:
- Knowledge Unlatched KU Select 2017: Backlist Collection
- Publisher Number:
- 10.14361/9783839429549 doi
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|