To sleep with anger / SVS, Inc. presents ; an Edward R. Pressman production ; written and directed by Charles Burnett ; produced by Thomas S. Byrnes, Caldecot Chubb, Darin Scott.
- Director-approved DVD special edition.
- [New York, NY] : Criterion Collection,  , ©2019
- Criterion collection ; 963.
Criterion Collection ; 963
1 videodisc (102 minutes) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 insert (1 folded sheet : color illustrations ; folded to 19 cm)
4 3/4 in.
- African Americans -- California -- Los Angeles -- Drama.
African American families -- Drama.
African American men -- Drama.
Superstition -- Drama.
Los Angeles (Calif.) -- Drama.
- Dark comedy films.
Melodramas (Motion pictures)
Video recordings for the hearing impaired.
- In English.
Open-captioned for the deaf and hard of hearing (SDH).
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, Region 1; widescreen (1.85:1 aspect ratio) presentation; Dolby Audio 2.0 surround.
5.1 Dolby Digital
- Harry, a devilish charmer from the Deep South, turns up out of the blue on the South Central Los Angeles doorstep of his old friends. In short order, Harry's presence turns a seemingly peaceful household upside down, exposing smoldering tensions between parents and children, tradition and change, virtue and temptation. Interweaving evocative strains of gospel and blues with rich, poetic-realist images, it is a sublimely stirring film from an autonomous artistic sensibility, a portrait of family resilience.
- Danny Glover, Paul Butler, Mary Alice, Carl Lumbly, Vonetta McGee, Richard Brooks, Sheryl Lee Ralph.
- Director of photography, Walt Lloyd; music, Stephen James Taylor; editor, Nancy Richardson.
- Videodisc release of the motion picture produced in 1990.
Special features: new, restored 4K digital transfer, approved by director; Of Family and Folklore, a new interview program, featuring Charles Burnett, actors Danny Glover and Sheryl Lee Ralph, and associate producer Linda Koulisis; A Walk with Charles Burnett, a new hour-long conversation between Burnett and filmmaker Robert Townsend that revisits Burnett's films and shooting locations; short video tribute to Burnett produced for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Governors Awards ceremony in 2017. Container insert includes the essay "You Never Know What's in the Heart" by film critic Ashley Clark.
- Burnett, Charles, 1944- film director, screenwriter, interviewee.
Pressman, Edward R., film producer.
Byrnes, Thomas S., film producer.
Chubb, Caldecot, film producer.
Scott, Darin, film producer.
Koulisis, Linda, film producer, interviewee.
Glover, Danny, actor, interviewee.
Butler, Paul, 1941 or 1942-2010, actor.
Alice, Mary, 1941- actor.
Lumbly, Carl, actor.
McGee, Vonetta, actor.
Brooks, Richard, 1962- actor.
Ralph, Sheryl Lee, actor, interviewee.
Townsend, Robert, 1957- interviewee.
Clark, Ashley, writer of additional text.
Burnett, Charles, 1944- film director.
Glover, Danny, actor.
SVS Films, presenter, film distributor.
Criterion Collection (Firm), publisher.
- Of family and folklore
Walk with Charles Burnett
- Publisher Number:
CC2998DDVD The Criterion Collection
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|