The power of music. 8, Composing music [electronic resource] / producer, Eva Zelig ; produced by Thirteen Productions LLC.
- Other Title:
- Composing music
- District of Columbia : Annenberg Learner, 2014.
1 online resource (28 minutes)
- Fundación del Estado para el Sistema Nacional de las Orquestas Juveniles e Infantiles de Venezuela.
Music -- Instruction and study -- United States.
Music and youth.
- Documentary films.
- In English.
- System Details:
- video file
- According to a survey by the National Association for Music Education (NAfME), music educators find the national standard about creating music to be the most challenging. The New York Philharmonic Very Young Composers program is based on the premise that creating music is an activity that should not be limited to a highly trained, elite group of adults. Founded by composer and bassist Jon Deak, the program assumes that all children - whether or not they can play an instrument - have the capacity to express musical ideas. The program is nurturing young composers in multiple states across the U.S. and several countries around the world, including Venezuela. At P.S. 11 in Brooklyn, Jon and composer/teaching artist Angélica Negrón help fourth and fifth graders record their musical ideas using graphic notation. Students consult a list Angélica posts in the classroom to more fully develop those ideas, doing things like repeating a phrase, playing it backwards, and adding harmony. Two months later, Angélica has translated the scores into standard notation, and the students refine their ideas through collaboration with an ensemble of professional musicians. The payoff is an exciting concert for peers and family members. About the series: A professional development resource for P-5 music educators; 8 30-minute video programs, plus overview; course guide; online interactives; and website. The Power of Music is designed to help pre-K through fifth-grade music educators integrate into their practice effective teaching strategies used in El Sistema-inspired programs. The video series features teaching artists across the country committed to providing music-making opportunities to children who otherwise might not have them. Incorporating their own ideas, experiences, and pedagogical expertise, these music educators have adapted and created innovative teaching strategies to nurture a special kind of musical citizenship in their students. Produced by WNET Thirteen, 2014.
- Narrated by Nancy Giles.
- Title from resource description page (viewed August 14, 2018).
"P-5 teaching inspired by El Sistema".
- Zelig, Eva, producer.
Giles, Nancy, narrator.
Thirteen Productions, production company.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|