Political assassination. Duel in Pakistan [electronic resource] : Benazir Bhutto between the mosque and the military / a film by Michel Noll ; a production by Solferino Images and Quartier Latin Media.
- Other Title:
- Benazir Bhutto : duel in Pakistan
Duel in Pakistan : Benazir Bhutto between the mosque and the military
- Wheeling, IL : Film Ideas, Incorporated, 2010.
1 online resource (52 minutes)
- Bhutto, Benazir, 1953-2007 -- Assassination.
Islam and politics -- Pakistan.
Civil-military relations -- Pakistan.
Military government -- Pakistan.
Pakistan -- Politics and government -- 1988-.
- Documentary television programs.
- In English.
- System Details:
- video file
- Since its independence in 1947, the Islamic Republic of Pakistan has been torn between civil rule and military dictatorship. The first civilian to take power is Zulfikar Ali Bhutto when he triumphantly wins the 1971 elections. But only six years later, General Zia coups him out of his position, puts him on trial and has him hanged, despite major international protests. Nine years later, his daughter Benazir wins the elections and thus makes sure that civilians are back in power. At only 35 years of age, Benazir Bhutto becomes the first woman to run an Islamic Republic. But the duel continues and eleven years later, General Musharraf prompts another coup d'etat and Benazir will spend several years in prison and eventually in exile. Eight years later, in October 2007, with support from Washington, she returns to Pakistan to stand in the January 2008 elections. Her objective: to restore democracy in Pakistan. This documentary tells Benazir's tragic story as we learn about the turbulent history of her country and its ever-present struggles for power.
- Title from resource description page (viewed April 16, 2018).
- Noll, Michel, director.
Quartier Latin Media, production company.
Solferino Images (Firm), production company.
- Other format:
- Original version:
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|