Unmasking the administrative state : the crisis of American politics in the twenty-first century / John Marini ; edited by Ken Masugi.
- Other Title:
- Crisis of American politics in the 21st century
- First American edition.
- New York : Encounter Books, 2019.
337 pages ; 24 cm
- Bureaucracy -- United States.
Political culture -- United States.
Politics and government.
United States -- Politics and government.
- "The election of Donald J. Trump to the presidency shocked the political establishment, triggering a wave of hysteria among the bicoastal elite that may yet never subside. The biggest shockwaves of all however were felt not in the progressive parishes of Manhattan or San Francisco, but in the halls of the political elite's cherished and oft-overlooked center of power: Washington, D.C.'s sprawling 'administrative state.' For President Trump represented an existential threat to its denizens, which came to be known as 'swamp creatures.' How did it come to pass that the 'deconstruction' of this obscure institution - the 'draining of the swamp' - would become a core aim of the Trump administration, impacting everything from judicial appointments to the federal budget and regulatory policy? Could public aversion to policies and practices for which the administrative state was sometimes surreptitiously and other times overtly responsible explain President Trump's rise? What was the intellectual basis for the argument that the administrative state need be dismantled in the first place? The answers to these questions and many more lie in the underappreciated but revolutionary scholarship of Professor John Marini, collected in his timely, comprehensive, accessible new book, Unmasking the Administrative State"-- Provided by publisher.
- Hunting the administrative state
Our abandoned Constitution
Donald Trump and the American crisis
Congress: Reluctant defender of the administrative state
State or Constitution? The political conditions of bureaucratic rule: the executive, Congress, and the courts under the administrative state
Budgets, separation of powers, and the rise of the administrative state
Progressivism, immigration, and the transformation of American citizenship
Politics, rhetoric, and legitimacy: The Role of bureaucracy in the Watergate Affair
Tocqueville's centralized administration and the "New Despotism"
On Harvey Mansfield's Jefferson lecture: How to understand politics
Roosevelt's or Reagan's America? A time for choosing
Theories of the legislature: The changing character of the American Congress
Progressivism, the social sciences, and the rational state
Wisdom and moderation: Leo Strauss's On Tyranny; Modern thought and its "unmanly contempt for politics"
Trump and the future.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 303-330) and index.
- Masugi, Ken, editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: Marini, John A. Unmasking the administrative state.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|