A field of buttercups.
- Englewood Cliffs, N.J., Prentice-Hall ©1968.
273 pages map (on lining papers) 22 cm
- Korczak, Janusz, 1878-1942.
Treblinka (Concentration camp).
Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945).
Jewish orphanages -- Poland.
Jews -- Poland -- Warsaw.
Jewish children in the Holocaust -- Poland.
Getto warszawskie (Warsaw, Poland).
Jewish children in the Holocaust.
Poland -- Warsaw.
Poland -- Warsaw -- Getto warszawskie.
- This story comprises one of the smaller statistics that passed irretrievably through the gates of Treblinka. It's the story of Janusz Korczak, renowned Polish writer and educator, who had devoted his later years to directing the "Our Home" orphanage relocated first to the Warsaw ghetto. It was a pathetic situation hardly underplayed by Mr. Hyams who writes as if he were privy to Mr. Korczak's most private moments, not to mention those of such as Gestapo Chief Hahn, the "architect of destruction" who planned the ghetto's final "resettlement." The filth, hunger, despair, the warped and sore-ridden children, the bodies in the streets, contrast with black-market profiteering, gambling halls, etc. Then there are characters like child prodigy Abrasha who refuses to speak except through his violin; Nazi officer Erwin, who had once been one of Korczak's orphans; Adam Czerniakow, head of the Jewish Council who refuses to sign the relocation order and subsequently commits suicide; Friedrych who escapes through the sewers to check out the rumors of the true meaning behind Treblinka. And there's the march to the station with Korczak leading, reassuring the children and refusing a last-minute offer of amnesty for himself only. Based on extensive research, an intense, emotional adjunct to the annals of World War II. -- Kirkus Review, 1968.
- Local notes:
- Presented to the Penn Libraries by the Board of Governors of Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth.
- Penn Provenance:
- Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth (donor)
- Library of Adas Kodesch Shel Emeth (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|