Outlaw gangster VIP : the complete collection / a Nikkatsu Corporation production.
- Other Title:
- Outlaw gangster V.I.P. : the complete collection
- [United States] : Arrow Films, 2016.
3 videodiscs (541 min.) : sound, color with black and white sequences ; 4 3/4 in.
- Yakuza -- Drama.
Assassins -- Japan -- Drama.
Gangsters -- Japan -- Drama.
Organized crime -- Japan -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Drama.
- Gangster films.
Motion pictures, Japanese.
- In Japanese; optional subtitles in English.
- System Details:
- Blu-ray discs, Regions A, B, C; widescreen (2.35:1 aspect ratio) presentation; Dolby Digital mono.
digital optical monaural Dolby Digital
video file Blu-ray video region A, B, C
- "In 1968, acclaimed director Toshio Masuda (Rusty Knife, Tora! Tora! Tora!) and rising star Tetsuya Watari (Tokyo Drifter) teamed up for Outlaw: Gangster VIP, a gritty yakuza yarn based on the writings of real life ex-gangster Goro Fujita. The series offers up a depiction of the Japanese underworld that was unprecedented in its realism and its sympathetic portrayal of its protagonist as a man haunted by his past, unable to escape a life of crime. The success of the initial installment spawned five sequels, continuing the story of the lone wolf Slasher Goro and his quest for redemption. The films presented a new kind of realism and violence that would prefigure Kinji Fukasaku's Battles Without Honor and Humanity series, with their winning combination of brutal violence, gang warfare and sweeping romance, these films make for a unique and unforgettable viewing experience. The set includes six films in the Outlaw series released for the first time in the west: Gangster VIP, Gangster VIP 2, Heartless, Goro the Assassin, Black Dagger, and Kill!"--Container.
Gangster VIP: "Goro (Tetsuya Watari) had grown up in the yakuza world. As an active member of the Mizuhara family crime syndicate, he expressed his loyalty by always putting himself in the forefront of every battle. Violence never bothered him. However, after being sentenced to three years in prison for stabbing a rival gang's hit man, he becomes disenchanted with the Yakuza life style. Goro is determined to start anew, but karma catches up. His two closest friends are murdered by his ex-boss. He is left with two options: to kill or be killed"--Nikkatsu website.
Gangster VIP 2: "Goro (Tetsuya Watari) wants to put his dark past behind. He heads to Hirosaki City to offer his condolences to Yumeko and to reunite with Yukiko (Chieko Matsubara), but finds that Yumeko is fatally ill. Although Yukiko was taking care of her, she is pressed for money. Goro wants to help and knows that there is only one way to come up with fast money"--Nikkatsu website.
Heartless: "Goro Fujikawa (Tetsuya Watari) was indebted to Mitsugimoto. Sawada, a low rank yakuza with a gambling problem, owed Mitsugimoto three million yen. This equation can only lead to one answer. Mitsugimoto needs to pay and Goro's coming to collect"--Nikkatsu website.
Goro the assassin: "On a cold winter day, Goro Fujikawa (Tetsuya Watari) and Masahiko murder the mob boss of Meishin-Kai. The deed costs them time in prison, but Goro had no shred of regret. When Goro is released 2 years later, Masahiko is dying in prison hospital and entrusts his last wish; "find my sister and take care of her." Goro leaves as a free man with a mission, but soon finds that he might have been better off in jail"--Nikkatsu website.
Black dagger: "A street war breaks loose between two rival gangs in the Kansai region of Japan. Goro (Tetsuya Watari) is in the middle of action. Through a knife fight against Sueo, a high profile gangster from Busou-kai, Goro notices a familiar face approaching him from amidst the chaos - his girlfriend, Yuri (Chieko Matsubara). Goro had sent her to safety, but she had returned, aching to see him. Caught between Goro and his enemy knife, she reunites with her love - the price was her life"--Nikkatsu website.
Kill!: "Goro (Tetsuya Watari) has always been a lone wolf. When he arrives at an industrial city in Keihin, there is certain restlessness in the air. The Iriezaki family and the Kanto Touyu-kai were in the midst of a territorial dispute. Goro was quick to notice, but had no intent to take sides. At a department store nearby, he sees an elevator lady being harassed by a couple of hoodlums. Goro decides to intervene. Unbeknownst to him, the hoodlums are Touyu-kai members - and the girl has strong ties with the opposing family"--Nikkatsu website.
- [disc 1]. Daikanbu: burai yori = Outlaw: Gangster VIP (1968, 93 min., not rated) / screenplay by Kaneo Ikegami, Reiji Kubota ; directed by Toshio Masuda
Daikanbu: burai = Outlaw: Gangster VIP 2 (1968, 97 min., not rated) / screenplay by Kaneo Ikegami, Keiji Kubota ; directed by Keiichi Ozawa
[disc 2]. Burai hijō = Outlaw: Heartless (1968, 92 min., not rated) / written by Gan Yamazaki, Mio Ezaki ; directed by Mio Ezaki
Burai Hitokiri Gorō = Outlaw: Goro the assassin (1968, 87 min., not rated) / screenplay by Kaneo Ikegami, Keiichi Ozawa ; directed by Keiichi Ozawa
[disc 3]. Burai kurodosu = Outlaw: Black dagger (1968, 86 min., not rated) / screenplay by Kanoa Ikegami ; directed by Keiichi Ozawa
Burai - barase! = Outlaw: Kill! (1969, 86 min., not rated) / screenplay by Kanoa Ikegami ; directed by Keiichi Ozawa.
[disc 1]. 大幹部: 無頼より = Outlaw: Gangster VIP (1968, 93 min., not rated) / screenplay by Kaneo Ikegamo, Reiji Kubota ; directed by Toshio Masuda
大幹部 : 無頼 = Outlaw: Gangster VIP 2 (1968, 97 min., not rated) / directed by Keiichi Ozawa
[disc 2]. 無頼非情 = Outlaw: Heartless (1968, 92 min., not rated) / written by Gan Yamazaki, Mio Ezaki ; directed by Mio Ezaki
無頼人斬り五郎 = Outlaw: Goro the assassin (1968, 87 min., not rated) / screenplay by Kaneo Ikegami, Keiichi Ozawa ; directed by Keiichi Ozawa
[disc 3]. 無頼黒匕首 = Outlaw: Black dagger (1968, 86 min., not rated) / screenplay by Kanoa Ikegami ; directed by Keiichi Ozawa
無頼 - 殺せ = Outlaw: Kill! (1969, 86 min., not rated) / screenplay by Kanoa Ikegami ; directed by Keiichi Ozawa.
- Gangster VIP: Tetsuya Watari, Chieko Matsubara.
Gangster VIP 2: Tetsuya Watari, Chieko Matsubara.
Heartless: Tetsuya Watari, Chieko Matsubara.
Goro the assassin: Tetsuya Watari, Chieko Matsubara.
Black dagger: Tetsuya Watari, Chieko Matsubara.
Kill!: Tetsuya Watari, Chieko Matsubara.
- Videodisc release of six motion pictures produced in 1968 and 1969.
Issued by the publisher as part of a six-disc Blu-ray/DVD combination pack.
Limited edition contents: limited edition box set (3000 copies) containing all six films in the Outlaw series; High Definition digital transfers of all six films, from original film elements by Nikkatsu Corporation; High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation; original uncompressed mono audio; newly translated English subtitles; audio commentary on Outlaw: Gangster VIP by Jasper Sharp; visual essay covering the entire series by Kevin Gilvear; original trailers for all six films; extensive promotional image galleries for all six films.
- Local notes:
- University of Pennsylvania Libraries have cataloged the Blu-ray discs and the DVDs separately.
- Masuda, Toshio, 1941- film director.
Ikegami, Kaneo, 1923-2007, screenwriter.
Kubota, Reiji, screenwriter.
Ozawa, Keiichi, 1935- film director, screenwriter.
Kubota, Keiji, 1932- screenwriter.
Ezaki, Mio, film director, screenwriter.
Yamasaki, Iwao, screenwriter.
Watari, Tetsuya, 1941- actor.
Matsubara, Chieko, 1945- actor.
Nikkatsu Kabushiki Kaisha, production company.
Arrow Video (Firm), film distributor.
- Gangster VIP.
Gangster VIP 2.
Goro the assassin.
- Publisher Number:
- 760137832195 set)
AV047 Arrow Video (set)
AV047-BD1 Arrow Video (disc 1)
AV047-BD2 Arrow Video (disc 2)
AV047-BD-3 Arrow Video (disc 3)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|