Divided loyalties : stories / Nilofar Shidmehr.
- Standardized Title:
- Short stories. Selections
- [Toronto, Canada] : House of Anansi Press Inc., 2019. , ©2019
311 pages ; 21 cm
- Women -- Iran -- Fiction.
Iranian diaspora -- Fiction.
Iranians -- Canada -- Fiction.
Women -- Canada -- Fiction.
Iran -- History -- Revolution, 1979 -- Fiction.
Iran -- Emigration and immigration -- Fiction.
Canada -- Emigration and immigration -- Fiction.
- Short stories.
- "The stories begin in 1978, the year before the Iranian Revolution. In a neighbourhood in Tehran, a group of affluent girls play a Cinderella game with unexpected consequences. In the mid 1980s, women help their husbands and brothers survive war and political upheaval. In the early 1990s in Vancouver, Canada, a single-mother refugee is harassed by the men she meets on a telephone dating platform. And in 2003, a Canadian woman working for an international aid organization is dispatched to her hometown of Bam to assist in the wake of a devastating earthquake. At once powerful and profound, Divided Loyalties depicts the rich lives of Iranian women and girls in post-revolutionary Iran and the contemporary diaspora in Canada; the enduring complexity of the expectations forced upon them; and the resilience of a community experiencing the turmoil of war, revolution, and migration"--Back cover.
- Other format:
- Shidmehr, Nilofar. Divided loyalties./.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|