The Velislav Bible, the finest picture Bible of the late Middle Ages : Biblia depicta as devotional, mnemonic and study tool / edited by Lenka Panušková.
- Amsterdam : Amsterdam University Press, 
- Central European medieval studies ; 4.
Central European medieval studies ; 4
335 pages : illustrations (chiefly color), facsimiles ; 25 cm.
- Illumination of books and manuscripts, Czech -- 14th century.
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval -- Czech Republic.
Manuscripts, Latin (Medieval and modern) -- Czech Republic -- Prague -- Facsimiles.
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Gothic -- Czech Republic.
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Czech.
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Medieval.
Illumination of books and manuscripts, Gothic.
Manuscripts, Latin (Medieval and modern).
Bible -- Latin -- Národní knihovna České republiky -- Manuscript -- XXIII.C.124.
Velislav, active 14th century.
Bible -- Picture Bibles.
Czech Republic -- Prague.
- Local subjects:
- Manuscripts, Medieval -- Czech Republic -- Bohemia. (search)
- In English; transcription of manuscript in Latin.
- "The Velislav Bible is one of the most beautiful medieval Bohemian manuscripts. It is a heavily illustrated manuscript that contains only short selections of the text, that instruct the reader about the story depicted. The last picture in the manuscript shows a man kneeling before St. Catherine, identified as Velislav, hence the name of the manuscript. The Bible comprises stories from the Books of Genesis and Exodus, visions of Daniel, and the stories of Samson as well as of Judith. The narrative of the Antichrist precedes the Christological part. The New Testament continues with the Book of Revelation, stories following the Ascension of Christ, and key events from the lives of St. Peter and St. Paul. The manuscript closes with the legend of St. Wenceslas, the patron saint of Bohemia. The essays in 'The Velislav Bible, Finest Picture-Bible of the Late Middle Ages: Biblia depicta as Devotional, Mnemonic and Study Tool' analyze the manuscript from historical, textual, art-historical, and iconographic perspectives. However, a shared concern of all the authors is to think about its functions. An edition of the Latin titulis is being published here for the first time"-- Publisher's description.
- 1. Studying the Velislav Bible : an overview / Anna Kernbach and Lenka Panušková
2. Image and text in the Velislav Bible : on the interpretation of an illuminated codex / Anna Kernbach and Lenka Panušková
3. The Velislav Bible in the context of late medieval biblical retellings and mnemonic aids / Lucie Doležalová
4. The books of Genesis and Exodus in the picture Bibles : looking for an audience / Lenka Panušková
5. The life of Antichrist in the Velislav Bible / Pavlína Cermanová
6. The Antichrist cycle in the Velislav Bible and the representation of the intellectual community / Kateřina Horníčková
7. Ibi predicit hominibus : in search of the practical function of the Velislav Bible / Milena Bartlová
8. The Velislav Bible : critical edition with commentary / Anna Kernbach.
- Includes a complete transcription of the Velislav Bible manuscript.
"Anna Kernbach assisted with the editing of this volume"--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references (pages -331) and index.
- Panušková, Lenka, editor, author.
Kernbach, Anna, 1979- editor, author.
- Bible. Latin. Národní knihovna České republiky. Manuscript. XXIII.C.124
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|