The Central Park : original designs for New York's greatest treasure / Cynthia S. Brenwall, New York City Municipal Archives ; foreword by Martin Filler.
- New York : Abrams, 2019.
229 pages : illustrations (some color), maps (some color), plans ; 26 x 30 cm
- Landscape architecture -- New York (State) -- New York -- Pictorial works.
Central Park (New York, N.Y.) -- History.
Central Park (New York, N.Y.) -- Pictorial works.
New York (State) -- New York.
New York (State) -- New York -- Central Park.
- Drawing on the unparalleled collection of original designs for Central Park in the New York City Municipal Archives, Cynthia S. Brenwall tells the story of the creation of New York's great public park, from its conception to its completion. This treasure trove of material ranges from the original winning competition entry; to meticulously detailed maps; to plans and elevations of buildings, some built, some unbuilt; to elegant designs for all kinds of fixtures needed in a world of gaslight and horses; to intricate engineering drawings of infrastructure elements. Much of it has never been published before. A virtual time machine that takes the reader on a journey through the park as it was originally envisioned, 'The Central Park' is both a magnificent art book and a message from the past about what brilliant urban planning can do for a great city.
- Foreword / by Martin Filler
Introduction: The greatest single work of art in the City of New York
The genius of the plan
The heart of it all.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Albert M. Greenfield Memorial Fund.
- New York (N.Y.). Municipal Archives.
Filler, Martin, 1948- writer of foreword.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|