The Horn of Africa and Italy : colonial, postcolonial and transnational cultural encounters / edited by Simone Brioni and Shimelis Bonsa Gulema.
- Oxford : Peter Lang,  , ©2018
- New comparative criticism.
New Comparative Criticism
x, 326 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm.
- Intercultural communication -- Horn of Africa.
Intercultural communication -- Italy.
Horn of Africa -- Relations -- Italy.
Horn of Africa -- Colonial influence.
Italy -- Relations -- Horn of Africa.
Italy -- Colonies -- Africa.
Africa -- Horn of Africa.
- This multidisciplinary volume analyses key themes and topics related to the cultural encounters between Italy and its former colonies in the Horn of Africa (Eritrea, Ethiopia and Somalia). The multi-faceted relations between the Horn of Africa and Italy were initiated during the colonial period but have also been shaped more recently through migration. In eleven chapters by experts in comparative literature, cultural studies, history, migration studies, political philosophy and postcolonial theory, the volume highlights how the legacy of colonialism permeates Italian society as well as influencing the construction of national identities in the Horn of Africa. The analysis of this transnational encounter opens up new possibilities for comparative research and critical synergies in Italian studies, African studies and beyond--back cover.
- Introduction: A Transnational Cultural Encounter / Simone Brioni and Shimelis Bonsa Gulema
Part 1. Colonialsim : 1. Law: The Myth of Progress and Differentialism in the Liberal Age / Olindo de Napoli
2. Landscape: Somalia as Seen in Italian Colonial Literature / Wu Ming 2
3. History: Italian Fascist Visions of Somalia's Past and Future / Lee Cassanelli
Part II. Postcolonialism : 4. Urbanism: History, Legacy, and Memory of the Italian Occupation in Addis Ababa (1936-1941) / Shimelis Bonsa Gulema
5. Nationalism; The Italian Occupation in Amharic Literature and Political Thought / Sara Marzagora
6. Racism: Meticci on the Eve of Colonial Downfall / Antonio Maria Morone
7. Decolonization: Representing the Trusteeship Administration of Somalia / Danielle Comberiati
Part III. Transnationalism : 8. Heroes: A Transnational Reconsideration of Mohammed Abdulle Hassan and Omar al-Mukhtar in Literature and Film / Lorenzo Mari
9. Diaspora: A 'Postcolonial' Migration? An Analysis of Eritrean Mobility Trajectories / Milena Belloni
10. Sport: Leisure, Representation, and Politics of Exclusion and Inclusion / Simone Brioni
11. Photography: Memorial Intertexts in New Writing by Maaza Mengiste, Nadifa Mohamed, and Igiaba Seego / Emma Bond.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Brioni, Simone, editor.
Gulema, Shimelis Bonsa, editor.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|