Clement von Franckenstein photograph album, circa 1950.
- circa 1950.
1 box (0.2 linear foot)
- Moral Re-armament (Organization). Conference. -- Photographs.
Franckenstein, George, Sir, 1878- -- Photographs.
Buchman, Frank, 1878-1961 -- Photographs.
Photograph albums -- Swizterland -- Caux -- 20th century.
- Black-and-white photographs.
Manuscripts, English -- 20th century.
- An English actor born Clement George Freiherr von und Franckenstein to Sir George von Franckenstein who was the Austrian Ambassador to the Court of Saint James and Editha King in Sunninghill, Buckingham, England. Franckenstein was educated at Eton, served three years as a lieutenant in the Royal Scots Grey, and studied opera. His father became a British citizen in 1938. In 1953 Franckenstein's parents died in a plane crash and he was raised by friends of the family in England.
- A photograph album probably compiled by Franckenstein comprised of twenty-four black-and-white images measuring 9 1/2 x 7 1/2 inches. Below each photograph is a typed caption. The photographs were taken at the 1950 Moral Re-Armament conference at Caux, Switzerland. The delegation of attendees to the diplomatic conference included politicians, traded unionists from Japan, and communist miners from Ruhr, among others. The photographs include pictures of Caux, international business leaders such as K. C. Bakhle, director of Air India; musicians such as singer Marian Anderson and conductor Edmond Appia; and world leaders such as the mayors of Hiroshima and London. Several images with the founder of the Moral Re-Armament Frank Buchman are in the album. Photographs of the film productions Jotham valley and The forgotten factor are included. One photograph of seven-year-old Franckenstein with his parents is included. The leaves of the volume are laid in the binding. Written on first leaf: C. G. Franckenstein.
- Penn Provenance:
- Sold at auction at Dominic Winter (South Cerney, Cirencester, England), April 18, 2018, lot 273.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|