Understanding Merleau-Ponty, understanding modernism / edited by Ariane Mildenberg.
- New York : Bloomsbury Academic, 2019. , ©2019
- Understanding philosophy, understanding modernism.
Understanding philosophy, understanding modernism
xv, 326 pages ; 24 cm.
- Merleau-Ponty, Maurice, 1908-1961.
Merleau-Ponty, Maurice, 1908-1961.
- Understanding Merleau-Ponty, Understanding Modernism revises the concept of modernism by examining the kinship of method and concern between Maurice Merleau-Ponty's phenomenology and modernist art, literature, film and neurophysiological discoveries, opening up the complexities of the philosopher's phenomenology of perception to a broader audience across the arts. Rather than promoting phenomenology as a theoretical 'tool' for analysing selected texts or artworks, the aim of this volume is to bring Merleau-Ponty's work into dialogue with modernism. An important resource for anyone interested in the links between modernism and philosophy, Understanding Merleau-Ponty, Understanding Modernism offers close readings of Merleau-Ponty's key texts, explores modernist literature in light of his thought, and provides an extended glossary of Merleau-Ponty's central terms and concepts.
- Introduction : "the surface of a depth" / Ariane Mildenberg
Merleau-Ponty's Cogito / Thomas Baldwin
On "the philosopher and his shadow" / Kevin Hart
A reading of "in praise of philosophy" : how Bergson conceived our relation to the truth / Michael R. Kelly
"Hooks" and "anchors" : Cézanne, the lived perspective, and modernist doubt / Ariane Mildenberg
The artist's gestures of fascination in "eye and mind" / Glen Mazis
"I must be surprised, disoriented" : Merleau-Ponty on language as disruptive movement / Florentien Verhage
Neither/nor : Merleau-Ponty's ontology in "the intertwining/the chiasm" / Jack Reynolds, Jon Roffe
Phenomenology and the imagination of modernism / Jennifer Anna Gosetti-Ferencei
The systems of equivalencies in Matisse and Klee : Merleau-Ponty's ontology of modern painting in "eye and mind" / Rajiv Kaushik
Merleau-Ponty on simultaneity and succession : the turn to music through Proust and Claudel / Jessica Wiskus
Merleau-Ponty and film : documenting the imagination / Sarah Copper
Motricité, physiology, and modernity in Phenomenology of Perception / Mark Paterson
D.H. Lawrence, Merleau-Ponty, and the phenomenology of illness / Ulrika Maude
"Mirrors of reciprocal flesh" : James Joyce and Maurice Merleau-Ponty / Cleo Hanaway-Oakley
Environmental modernisms : representing the flesh of the world in modernist literature / Kelly Sultzbach
Uncertain humanisms : energies of environment in Beckett, Bowen, and Merleau-Ponty / Amanda Dennis
Rhythmic looking : Elizabeth Bishop's poetry of perception / Jason M. Baskin
Poetico-phenomenological intertwinings : the elaboration of a practice of thought in Valéry and Merleau-Ponty / Carole Bourne-Taylor
A big serious portrait of my time : Maurice Merleau-Ponty's temporality and the modernist long poem / Matthew Carbery
Body-subject / Ann V. Murphy
Flesh / Ann V. Murphy
Écart / Rajiv Kaushik
Wild (brute) being / David Warren Grunner
Chiasm/intertwining / David Warren Grunner
Body schema / Jonathan Hale
Perceptual faith / James Bodington
Lived experience / Florentien Verhage
Interworld/l'intermonde / Patricia M. Locke
Ineinander / Jessica Wiskus
Depth / Glen Mazis
Motor intentionality / Mark Paterson
Speaking speech and spoken speech / Hayden Kee.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Mildenberg, Ariane, 1971- editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|