Hollywood and the invention of England : projecting the English past in American cinema, 1930-2017 / Jonathan Stubbs.
- New York, NY, USA : Bloomsbury Academic, Bloomsbury Publishing Inc, 2019. , ©2019
vi, 213 pages ; 24 cm
- Historical films -- California -- Los Angeles -- History and criticism.
Motion picture industry -- California -- Los Angeles -- History.
Great Britain -- History -- In motion pictures.
England -- In motion pictures.
California -- Los Angeles.
- "Drawing on new archival research into Hollywood production history and detailed textual analysis of individual films, this book assesses the value of British-themed films for the American film industry while placing them in a broader historical context"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction. England, their England
The uses of literature : adaptation and Englishness in the 1930s
Abstractions of empire : filming British imperialism in the 1930s and 1940s
Ideology and adventure : the post-war swashbuckler film
Cosmopolitanism and the Cold War : historical epics in the 1950s and 1960s
Boom and bust : the English past in the swinging sixties
Intimations of quality : English heritage and the "specialty" film the 1980s and 1990s
Pirates, wizards and wardrobes : the English past in the contemporary family film
Conclusion: an available past.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|