The Chicago River : a natural and unnatural history / Libby Hill.
- Revised edition.
- Carbondale : Southern Illinois University Press, 
xxiv, 301 pages : illustrations, maps ; 23 cm
- Natural history -- Illinois -- Chicago River.
Sewerage -- Illinois -- Chicago River.
Chicago River (Ill.) -- History.
Chicago River Region (Ill.) -- History.
Illinois -- Chicago River.
Illinois -- Chicago River Region.
- "A social and ecological account of the Chicago River, beginning with its geological foundations and extending to the present, the book tells how a sluggish waterway emptying into Lake Michigan became central to the creation of Chicago as a major transportation hub. Originally published by Lake Claremont Press in 2000 and reprinted by SIU Press in 2016, this revised edition updates the story."--Provided by publisher.
- Part I. Prehistory through the eighteenth century
Location, location, location
Geological foundations: bedrock and ice
The Chicago River: branches and forks
The natural Chicago River: animal, vegetable, and mineral
Passages and treaties: on the path to a canal
Part II. The nineteenth century
The Illinois and Michigan Canal
Redesigning the harbor
Early commerce and the river
The North Branch settlement
The Chicago River: clean stream to open sewer
The I&M Canal: shipping channel to open sewer
Toward the Sanitary and Ship Canal: from 1880 to shovel day
Building the channel that saved Chicago
Part III. Twentieth century
Reconnecting the city and the river
The North Shore Channel and the North Branch
The ascendance of federal authority
Straightening the South Branch
Transforming the Skokie Marsh
The metropolitan water reclamation district, modern sewage treatment, and the tunnel and reservoir project
Citizens and their river
Part IV. Early years of the twenty-first century
The MWRD and disinfection
Invasive carp: the case of the Sanitary and Ship Canal
Greening the watershed
The evolution of a riverwalk
- Originally published: Lake Claremont Press, 2000.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 289-290) and index.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|