Birth in eight cultures : Brazil, Greece, Japan, Mexico, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Tanzania, United States / edited by Roggie Davis-Floyd & Melissa Cheyney.
- Long Grove, Illinois : Waveland Press, 
xi, 266 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
- Childbirth -- Cross-cultural studies.
Childbirth -- Folklore.
Obstetrics -- Social aspects.
- "This stunning sequel to Brigitte Jordan's landmark Birth in Four Cultures brings together the work of fifteen reproductive anthropologists to address core cultural values and knowledge systems as revealed in contemporary birth practices in Brazil, Greece, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Tanzania, and the United States. Six ethnographic chapters form the heart of the book, three of which are set up as dyads that compare two countries; each demonstrates the power of anthropology's cross-cultural comparative method. An additional chapter with ethnographic vignettes gives readers a feel for what fieldwork is really like on the ground" -- backcover.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 239-259).
- Davis-Floyd, Robbie, editor.
Cheyney, Melissa, editor.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|