Naughty Marietta / Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer presents ; a W.S. Van Dyke production ; screen play by John Lee Mahin, Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett ; produced by Hunt Stromberg ; directed by W.S. Van Dyke.
- Burbank, CA : Turner Entertainment Co. and Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc., 
- Archive collection.
WB archive collection
1 videodisc (104 min.) : sound, black and white ; 4 3/4 in.
DVD video 4 3/4 in. stamping
- Herbert, Victor, 1859-1924 -- Film adaptations.
Princesses -- Drama.
French -- Louisiana -- New Orleans -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Drama.
False personation -- Drama.
New Orleans (La.) -- Drama.
Louisiana -- New Orleans.
- Historical films.
National Film Registry.
National Film Registry.
- In English.
- System Details:
- DVD-R, NTSC, all regions; full screen (1.33:1 aspect ratio) presentation; Dolby Digital mono.
"This disc is expected to play back in DVD video "play only" devices, and may not play back in other DVD devices, including recorders and PC drives."--Container.
digital optical monaural Dolby Digital
full screen (1.33:1)
video file all regions
- The musical that launched a legendary team. With their splendid voices, matinee-idol looks, vivacity (she) and stoutheartedness (he), Jeanette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy were America's Singing Sweethearts, "a true team, mixing the chemistry that permits one to accept disguised princesses, dream melodies and beautiful doom" (Ethan Mordden, The Hollywood Musical). Naughty Marietta is their first film together, a blithe tale of a French princess who arrives incognito in colonial New Orleans and falls into the manly arms of a captain with one terrific baritone. The soaring Victor Herbert melodies -- including Ah Sweet Mystery of Life and Tramp, Tramp, Tramp -- became forever identified with the stars. This 1935 Best Picture Academy Award nominee and Oscar winner for Best Sound Recording remains a Hollywood milestone and a total delight. - Container.
A French princess flees to New Orleans and masquerades as a lower-class woman to avoid marrying a nobleman she doesn't love. In bayou country she falls for a swaggering soldier, who wards off pirates and a king to keep her.
- Main feature
Audio vault. On the MGM recording stage with Nelson and Jeanette (January, 1935)
Lux Radio Theater broadcast 6/12/1944
- Jeanette MacDonald, Nelson Eddy, Frank Morgan, Elsa Lanchester, Douglas Dumbrille, Joseph Cawthorne, Cecilia Parker, Walter Kingsford, Greta Meyer, Akim Tamiroff, Harold Huber, Edward Brophy.
- Music, Victor Herbert; musical adaptation, Herbert Stothart; director of photography, William Daniels; additional lyrics, Gus Kahn; gowns, Adrian; art director, Cedric Gibbons; film editor, Blanche Sewell.
- Book and lyrics by Rida Johnson Young.
Based on the operetta Naughty Marietta / by Victor Herbert and Rida Johnson Young.
Videodisc release of the motion picture produced in 1935.
Special features include: On the MGM recording stage with Nelson and Jeanette (January 1935); Lux Radio Theater broadcast, 6/12/1944; Trailer.
Academy Award winner for Best Sound, Recording; nominated for Best Picture 1936.
- Van Dyke, W. S., film director, film producer.
Mahin, John Lee, 1902-1984, screenwriter.
Goodrich, Frances, screenwriter.
Hackett, Albert, screenwriter.
Stromberg, Hunt, 1894-1968, film producer.
MacDonald, Jeanette, 1903-1965, actor.
Eddy, Nelson, 1901-1967, actor.
Morgan, Frank, 1890-1949, actor.
Lanchester, Elsa, 1902-1986, actor.
Dumbrille, Douglass, 1890-1974, actor.
Cawthorn, Joseph, 1868-1949, actor.
Parker, Cecilia, 1914-1993, actor.
Kingsford, Walter, 1881-1958, actor.
Meyer, Greta, 1883-1965, actor.
Tamiroff, Akim, 1899-1972, actor.
Huber, Harold, 1910-1959, actor.
Brophy, Edward, 1895-1960, actor.
Herbert, Victor, 1859-1924, composer (expression)
Stothart, Herbert, 1885-1949, adapter.
Daniels, William, 1900-1970, director of photography.
Kahn, Gus, 1886-1941, lyricist.
Adrian, 1903-1959, costume designer.
Gibbons, Cedric, 1895-1960, art director.
Sewell, Blanche, editor of moving image work.
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, production company.
Turner Entertainment Co., publisher.
Warner Bros. Entertainment, film distributor.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|