From Lisbon to the world : Fernando Pessoa's enduring literary presence / George Monteiro.
- Eastbourne ; Portland : Sussex Academic Press, 2018.
- Portuguese-speaking world (Series).
The Portuguese-speaking world: its history, politics and culture
ix, 212 pages ; 24 cm.
- Influence (Literary, artistic, etc.).
Pessoa, Fernando, 1888-1935 -- Influence.
Pessoa, Fernando, 1888-1935.
- "Fernando Pessoa is one of the greatest poets of the 20th century. Until some years ago known in the English-speaking world only among a minority of connaisseurs, his work is finally becoming available in English translations, and more are in the process of reaching the literary public. Born in Lisbon in 1888, Pessoa was only forty-seven when he died, but he left behind a staggering number of unpublished manuscripts that are still being screened and brought to light. George Steiner heralded the day Pessoa discovered his major Portuguese heteronyms, for no country had ever seen the birth of four great poets in a single day. That was a reference to the personae Pessoa created, the famous heteronyms Alberto Caeiro, Álvaro de Campos, and Ricardo Reis, besides the man himself--all poets in their own right with their biographies and even critical exchanges among themselves. Today well over a hundred Pessoa heteronyms are known, including, notably, the semi-heteronym Bernardo Soares, author of The Book of Disquiet, presently available in two English translations. Lately, another Pessoa is emerging--an English writer, as well as a thinker. Indeed, having been educated in Durban, South Africa, where his stepfather was the consul of Portugal, the poet had a strong English education that shaped his life and thought"-- Provided by publisher.
- Works and days
The great war
"O Menino": follow-up
A book that never was
Myth is the message
The first symposium
Notes for a review
The bat and the raven
Álvaro de Campos: note
"The Bishop" and Edwin Honig
Translating Nathaniel Hawthorne
Pessoa's enduring presence.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|