Muhammad 'Abduh and his interlocutors : conceptualizing religion in a globalizing world / by Ammeke Kateman.
- Standardized Title:
- Shared questions, diverging answers
- Leiden ; Boston : Brill, 
- Studies in the history of religions ; 0169-8834 v. 162.
Numen book series. Studies in the history of religions, 0169-8834 ; volume 162
VIII, 288 pages ; 25 cm.
- Muḥammad ʻAbduh, 1849-1905.
Globalization -- Religious aspects.
- "In Muhammad 'Abduh and his Interlocutors: Conceptualizing Religion in a Globalizing World, Ammeke Kateman offers an account of Muhammad 'Abduh's Islamic Reformism in a context in which ideas increasingly crossed familiar geographical, religious and cultural frontiers. Presenting an alternative to the inadequate perspective of "Westernization", Kateman situates the ideas of Muhammad 'Abduh (Egypt, 1849-1905) on Islam and religion amongst those of his interlocutors within a global intellectual field. Ammeke Kateman's approach documents the surprising pluralism of 'Abduh's interlocutors, the diversity in their shared conceptualizations of religion and the creativity of 'Abduh's own interpretation. In this way, the conceptualizations of 'Abduh and his contemporaries also shed light on the diversified global genealogy of the modern concept of religion"-- Provided by publisher.
- Muhammad 'Abduh's world
Risalat al-Tawhid in its context of conception: Beirut in the 1880s
Comparing religions in Risalat al-Tawhid in the context of its conception
Comparisons compared reflecting and producing a concept of 'religion'
Hanotaux and 'Abduh. a layered context of discussion
Comparing Islam and Christianity in reply to Hanotaux
Comparisons compared: a play of similarity and difference.
- Revision of author's thesis (doctoral)--Universiteit van Amsterdam, 2016, titled Shared questions, diverging answers : Muḥammad ʻAbduh and his interlocutors on 'religion' in a globalizing world.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Kateman, Ammeke, author. Muhammad 'Abduh and his interlocutors
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|