The Oxford handbook of Canadian cinema [electronic resource] / edited by Janine Marchessault and Will Straw.
- Other Title:
- Canadian cinema
- New York : Oxford University Press, 2019.
- Oxford handbooks online.
Oxford handbooks in literature.
Oxford handbooks online
1 online resource.
- Motion pictures -- Canada -- History.
Motion pictures, Canadian -- History and criticism.
- System Details:
- data file
- The Oxford Handbook of Canadian Cinema offers an overview of the current state of thinking around Canadian cinema. The volume was conceived to register the variety of voices expressing themselves within Canadian cinema with special attention paid to Indigenous, Quebecois, and diasporic identities. Canadian cinema increasingly finds its place within a broad conception of "screen cultures", which extend into the divergent realms of small-scale artistic experimentation and large-scale public spectacle. Insofar as these realms have played a vital role in establishing Canada's presence within international screen culture, they are given special emphasis here. Rather than a straight historical account of cinema in Canada, this Oxford Handbook looks at the technological complexes, geographical spaces, and identity formations in which that cinema has emerged and developed.
- Three Canadian Film Policy Frameworks / Ira Wagman
Canadian Cinema and its Borders / Graciela Martínez-Zalce
Regional Scenes and Canadian Screens: Film in Atlantic Canada / Darrell Varga
A Poetics of Discretion / Marion Froger
The Emotional Geographies of Quebec Cinema / Daniel Laforest
Toronto on Screen / Ian Robinson
Quebec Cinema as Global Cinema / William Marshall
Stand Tall: Winnipeg Cinema and the Civic Imaginary / Andrew Burke
Still Here, Still Queer? Rethinking Queer Canadian Cinemas/Canadian Cinemas Queered / Thomas Waugh, Fulvia Massimi, Lisa Aalders
Political Modernism, Policy Environments and Digital Daring: The Changing Politics and Practice of Cine-Feminism in Quebec, 1967-2015 / Brenda Longfellow
From Expanded to Intimate Cinemas in Canadian Experimental Film/Video / Monika Kin Gagnon
Canadian Cinema and the Intellectual Milieu / Richard Cavell
The Bloody Brood: Canadian Horror Cinema—Past and Present / Scott Preston
Popular Quebec Cinema and the Appeal of Folk Homogeneity / André Loiselle
The Musicality of Canadian Cinema / Michael Brendan Baker
The World Navigate: Interactive Documentaries in Canada / Jessica Mulvogue
The Gaming Turn / Bruno Lessard
Introduction / Janine Marchessault, Will Straw
On the Road: Canadian Cinema and the World / Joumane Chahine
Landscape as Cinematic Effect / Johanne Sloan
Movie Envy: Cinema in the White Cube (Montreal, 1995-2015) / Olivier Asselin
(Re)Claiming Cultural Identity: The NFB's Eskimo Legends and Inuit Animation from Cape Dorset / Suzanne Buchan
Canadian Indigenous Cinema: From Alanis Obomsawin to the Wapikoni Mobile / Karine Bertrand
The Polarities and Hybridities of Arctic Cinemas / Scott MacKenzie, Anna Westerståhl Stenport
Diasporic Intimacy: Chinese-Canadian Documentary and the Poetics of Relation / Lily Cho.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
Description based on online resource; title from home page (viewed on April 2, 2019).
- Marchessault, Janine, editor.
Straw, Will, 1954- editor.
- Other format:
- Print version :
- 9780190229122 (ebook) :
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.