The Oxford handbook of Shakespearean comedy / edited by Heather Hirschfeld.
- First edition.
- [Oxford, United Kingdom] : Oxford University Press,  , ©2018
- Oxford handbooks.
xix, 572 pages : illustrations ; 26 cm
- Humorous plays.
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616. Plays. -- Selections
Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616.
- This book offers critical and contemporary resources for studying Shakespeare's comic enterprises. It engages with perennial, yet still urgent questions raised by the comedies and looks at them from a range of new perspectives that represent the most recent methodological approaches to Shakespeare, genre, and early modern drama. Several chapters take up firmly established topics of inquiry such Shakespeare's source materials, gender and sexuality, hetero- and homoerotic desire, race, and religion, and they reformulate these topics in the materialist, formalist, phenomenological, or revisionist terms of current scholarship and critical debate. Others explore subjects that have only relatively recently become pressing concerns for sustained scholarly interrogation, such as ecology, cross-species interaction, and humoral theory. Some contributions, informed by increasingly sophisticated approaches to the material conditions and embodied experience of theatrical practice, speak to a resurgence of interest in performance, from Shakespeare's period through the first decades of the twenty-first century. Others still investigate distinct sets of plays from unexpected and often polemical angles, noting connections between the comedies under inventive, unpredicted banners such as the theology of adultery, early modern pedagogy, global exploration, or monarchical rule. The book situates these approaches against the long history of criticism and provides an overview of the most up-to-date work in the field.
- Encountering the Elizabethan stage / James P. Bednarz
Encountering the past I : Shakespeare's reception of classical comedy / Robert S. Miola
Encountering the past II : Shakespearean comedy, Chaucer, and medievalism / Helen Cooper
Encountering the present I : Shakespeare's early urban comedies and the lure of true crime and satire / Kirk Melnikoff
Encountering the present II : Shakespearean comedy and Elizabethan drama / Andy Kesson
Shakespearean comedy and early modern religious culture / Kenneth J.E. Graham
Shakespearean comedy and the early modern marketplace : sympathetic economies / Amanda Bailey
Shakespearean comedy and the early modern domestic sphere / Catherine Richardson
Place and being in Shakespearean comedy / Kent Cartwright
Shakespearean comedy and the question of race / Geraldo U. de Sousa
Farce and force : Shakespearean comedy, militarism, and violence / Simon Barker
Water memory and the art of preserving : Shakespearean comedy and early modern cultures of remembrance / Julie Sanders
The humours in humour : Shakespeare and early modern psychology / Matthew Steggle
Shakespearean comedy and the senses / Kevin Curran
Green comedy : Shakespeare and ecology / Steve Mentz
The laws of comedy : Shakespeare and early modern legal culture / Carolyn Sale
Comedy and eros : sexualities on Shakespeare's stage / Judith Haber
Queer comedy / David L. Orvis
The music of Shakespearean comedy / Erin Minear
Gender and genre : Shakespeare's comic women / Michelle M. Dowd
The architecture of Shakespearean comedy : domesticity, performance, and the empty room / Anne M. Myers
Poor things, vile things : Shakespeare's comedy of kinds / Laurie Shannon
Stage props and Shakespeare's comedies : keeping safe Nerissa's ring / Lina Perkins Wilder
Shakespearean comedy and the discourses of print / Frederick Kiefer
Imagining Shakespeare's audience / Jeremy Lopez
Comedy on the boards : Shakespeare's use of playhouse space / Erika T. Lin
Adapting Shakespeare's comedies / Katherine Scheil
Brexit dreams : comedy, nostalgia, and critique in Much ado about nothing and A midsummer night's dream / Bridget Escolme
Shakespearean comedy on screen / Douglas M. Lanier
Holy adultery : marriage in The comedy of errors, The merchant of Venice, and The merry wives of Windsor / John Parker
Comedies of tough love : Two gentlemen of Verona, Love's labour's Lost, The taming of the shrew, and Much ado about nothing / Joanne Diaz
Comedies of the green world : A midsummer night's dream, As you like it, and Twelfth night / Lisa Hopkins
Problem comedies : Troilus and Cressida, Measure for measure, and All's well that ends well / Oliver Arnold.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Hirschfeld, Heather Anne, 1968- editor.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|