Music and messaging in the African political arena / Uche T. Onyebadi [editor].
- Hershey, PA : IGI Global, Information Science Reference,  , ©2019
- Advances in religious and cultural studies (ARCS) book series.
Advances in religious and cultural studies (ARCS) book series
xxv, 321 pages : illustrations ; 30 cm.
- Music -- Political aspects -- Africa.
Music -- Political aspects.
- "This book explores how politics and political processes in Africa have been impacted by the use of music in the dissemination of political messages for political campaigns, challenging the establishment and articulating the ills in society and governance, as well as other matters that generally deal with governing the citizenry"-- Provided by publisher.
- Chapter 1. From an emperor to the derg and beyond : examining the intersection of music and politics in Ethiopia / Zenebe Beyene
Chapter 2. It isn't all about "authority" : deconstructing Fela Anikulapo-Kuti's political messaging against "follow-follow" citizenry / Uche T. Onyebadi
Chapter 3. Collective identity in national anthems : investigating commonalities and differences among African and non-African Arab countries / Hesham Mesbah
Chapter 4. �Saworoid�e : a depiction and analysis of the political and socio-cultural characteristics of the Yor�ub�a talking drum / Rhoda Titilopemi Inioluwa Abiolu, Ruth E. Teer-Tomaselli
Chapter 5. Couching political criticism in humor : the case of musical parodies of the military in Cameroon and Congo-Brazzaville / Lyombe S. Eko
Chapter 6. Campaign songs and political advertising in Ghana : analyzing the use of Biblical imagery, testimonials, and repetitions / Margaret Ivy Amoakohene, Gilbert K.M. Tietaah, Favour Esinam Normeshie, Fidelis Yayra Sesenu
Chapter 7. Corruption sings loudest : music, political participation, and impression management / Ngozi Akinro, Emmanuel O. Nwachukwu, Adaobi V. Duru
Chapter 8. Majaivana and protest music in Zimbabwe : a challenge to political hegemony and marginalization / Vusumuzi Dube, Bhekinkosi Jakobe Ncube
Chapter 9. The discursive role of music in African elections : a perspective from Zambia / Elastus Mambwe
Chapter 10. Weaponizing music for political contestation and rivalry in Nigeria / Adaobi Vivian Duru, Emeka Lucky Umejei, Ikechukwu W. Eke
Chapter 11. Zairo-Congolese musicians and the sound of assimilation in East Africa / Aaron Louis Rosenberg
Chapter 12. "Onaapo" vs. "one factory" : a critical discourse analysis of Ghanaian political campaign lyrics / G. Edzordzi Agbozo, Mary Edward, Fatiatu Inusah
Chapter 13. Protest music and political consciousness among Nigerian youths / Titilayo Remilekun Osuagwu
Chapter 14. Music, political messaging, and Nigeria's 2015 presidential election / Stella Amara Aririguzoh.
- "Premier reference source"--cover.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Onyebadi, Uche, editor, author.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|