The Routledge anthology of Restoration and eighteenth-century performance / [edited by] Kristina Straub, Misty G. Anderson, Daniel O'Quinn.
- Other Title:
- Routledge anthology of Restoration and 18th century performance
- Abingdon, Oxon ; New York, NY : Routledge, 2019. , ©2019
xxix, 720 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm
- English drama -- Restoration, 1660-1700 -- History and criticism.
English drama -- 18th century -- History and criticism.
Theater -- Great Britain -- History -- 17th century.
Theater -- Great Britain -- History -- 18th century.
English drama -- Restoration.
- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- "The Routledge Anthology of Restoration and Eighteenth-Century Performance brings together a selection of particularly memorable performances, beginning with Nell Gwyn in a 1668 staging of Secret Love, and moving chronologically towards the premiere of John Philip Kemble's adaptation of Thomas Otway's Venice Presever'd in October 1795. This volume contains a wealth of contextual materials, including contemporary reviews, portraits, advertisements and cast lists. By privileging performance over publication, this collection aims to encourage an understanding of print as material object as well as theatrical medium, emphasising the immediacy - and changeability - of theatre during the long eighteenth century. Offering an invaluable insight into the performance culture of the long eighteenth century, The Routledge Anthology of Restoration and Eighteenth-Century Performance is a unique, much-needed resource for students of theatre"-- Provided by publisher.
- Actress and royal mistress: "Pretty Witty Nell" in Secret love
Magical transformations: A Queen and her many worlds
Betterton's last Lear
Soldiers abroad: The recruiting officer in Charleston, South Carolina
The pleasures of celebrity scandal: The rover's endurance
Opposition Cato: royal players at Leiceister House
An African weeps for Oroonoko: the royal slave
Tom Thumb in Manhattan: Lewis Hallam's theatrical enterprise
The Chinese festival riots
National fantasy/wardrobe malfunction: royal command performance of Thomas Arne's Love in a Village
Ethnic spectacle: Charles Macklin in The Merchant of Venice and Love a-la-Mode
An actor's farewell : Garrick in The wonder
The re-coronation of George III: commemorating Handel
Imperial Pantomime: John O'Keefe and Philippe Jacques De Loutherbourg's Omai, or A trip around the world
Stealing Venice preserv'd.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Straub, Kristina, 1951- editor.
Anderson, Misty G., 1967- editor.
O'Quinn, Daniel, 1962- editor.
- Other format:
- ebook version :
9781351723060 (ePub ebook)
9781351723077 (PDF ebook)
9781351723053 (Mobipocket ebook)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|