Against health : how health became the new morality / Jonathan M. Metzl and Anna Kirkland, editors.
- New York : New York University Press, ©2010.
- Biopolitics (New York, N.Y.)
Biopolitics, medicine, technoscience, and health in the 21st century
ix, 217 pages : illustrations, map ; 24 cm.
- Health -- Moral and ethical aspects.
Health services accessibility.
- Medical subjects:
Social Medicine -- ethics.
Health Services Accessibility.
- "Against Health argues that health is a concept, a norm, and a set of bodily practices whose ideological work is often rendered invisible by the assumption that it is a monolithic universal good, and that disparities in the incidence and prevalence of disease are closely linked to disparities in income and social support. The book's stand against health is not a stand against the authenticity of people's attempts to ward off suffering. Against Health instead claims that individual strivings for health are, in some instances, rendered more difficult by the ways in which health is culturally configured and socially sustained. The authors unpack the divergent cultural meanings of health and explore the ideologies involved in its construction, presenting strategies for moving forward and developing deeper, more productive, and indeed healthier interactions about our bodies. Jonathan M. Metzl is Associate Professor in the Women's Studies Department and the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Michigan, where he also directs the Program in Culture, Health, and Medicine. Anna Kirkland is Associate Professor of Women's Studies and Political Science at the University of Michigan."--Publisher's description.
- Why "Against health"? / Jonathan M. Metzl
What is health and how do you get it? / Richard Klein
Risky bigness : on obesity, eating, and the ambiguity of "health" / Lauren Berlant
Against global health? Arbitrating science, non-science and nonsense through health / Vincanne Adams
Social immorality of health in the gene age : race, disability, and inequality / Dorothy Roberts
Fat panic and the new morality / Kathleen LeBesco
Against breastfeeding (sometimes) / Joan B. Wolf
Pharmaceutical propaganda / Carl Elliott
Strangely passive-aggressive history of passive-aggressive personality disorder / Christopher Lane
Obsession : against mental health / Leonard J. Davis
Atomic health, or how the bomb altered American notions of death / Joseph Masco
How much sex is healthy? The pleasures of asexuality / Eunjung Kim
Be prepared / S. Lochlann Jain
In the name of pain / Tobin Siebers
What next? / Anna Kirkland.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Metzl, Jonathan, 1964-
Kirkland, Anna (Anna Rutherford)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|