Sex and the church. Episode 2, Sexual revolution [electronic resource] / produced & directed by Charles Colville ; BBC History production.
- Other Title:
- Sexual revolution
Academic Video Online.
- London, England : BBC Worldwide, 2014.
1 online resource (52 minutes)
- Sex -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
Sex and history.
Marriage -- Religious aspects -- Christianity.
- Documentary television programs.
- In English.
- System Details:
- video file
- Is a large swathe of Christianity out of step with the modern world? As society in general becomes more liberal, the Church seems more entrenched. This fascinating series explores how the religion's complex, explosive and often divisive ideas about sex, marriage and gender have their roots in an extraordinary story that began 2,000 years ago. From Mormons, Methodists and missionaries to the witch-hunts of the 16th century, the drag queens of 18th century London and the sexual revolution of the 1960s, it reveals how Christian views on sex and gender have never been fixed - they are in flux and they have been so right from the start. Even-handed, and without strident proclamation or condemnation, Sex and the West seeks to add historical context and knowledge to what is an increasingly fractured but relevant debate. Professor Diarmaid MacCulloch continues his exploration of how Christianity has shaped western attitudes to sex, gender and sexuality through history. Travelling from North East England to Germany and Italy, he explains how the Christian church took control of marriage in the 11th century, turning a civil institution into a sacred rite of Christianity. And he reveals how the Protestant Reformation launched a sexual revolution.
- Written & presented by Professor Diarmaid MacCulloch.
- Title from resource description page (viewed January 28, 2019).
- Colville, Charles, 1959- director, producer.
British Broadcasting Corporation, production company.
Alexander Street Press.
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|