Immigration and the politics of welfare exclusion : selective solidarity in Western democracies / Edward Anthony Koning.
- Toronto ; Buffalo ; London : University of Toronto Press, 
- Studies in comparative political economy and public policy ; 55.
Studies in comparative political economy and public policy ; 55
xii, 304 pages ; 24 cm.
- Immigrants -- Services for -- Canada.
Immigrants -- Services for -- Sweden.
Immigrants -- Services for -- Netherlands.
Canada -- Emigration and immigration -- Government policy.
Sweden -- Emigration and immigration -- Government policy.
Netherlands -- Emigration and immigration -- Government policy.
Emigration and immigration -- Government policy.
Immigrants -- Services for.
- "Why do some governments try to limit immigrants' access to social benefits and entitlements while others do not? Through an in-depth study of Sweden, Canada, and the Netherlands, Immigration and the Politics of Welfare Exclusion maps the politics of immigrants' social rights in Western democracies. To achieve this goal, Edward A. Koning analyzes policy documents, public opinion surveys, data on welfare use, parliamentary debates, and interviews with politicians and key players in the three countries. Koning's findings are three-fold. First, the politics of immigrant welfare exclusion have little to do with economic factors and are more about general opposition to immigration and multiculturalism. Second, proposals for exclusion are particularly likely to arise in a political climate that incentivizes politicians to appear "tough" on immigration. Finally, the success of anti-immigrant politicians in bringing about exclusionary reforms depends on the response of the political mainstream, and the extent to which immigrants' rights are protected in national and international legal frameworks. A timely investigation into an increasingly pressing subject, Immigration and the Politics of Welfare Exclusion will be essential reading for scholars and students of political science, comparative politics, and immigration studies."-- Provided by publisher.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|