UPA : the jolly frolics collection / Columbia Pictures, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.
- Other Title:
- United Productions of America
Jolly frolics collection
- Culver City, CA : Turner Classics Movies, ©2012.
- TCM vault collection.
TCM vault collection
3 videodiscs (286 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 guide ( pages : illustrations ; 19 cm).
- Robin Hood (Legendary character) -- Drama.
Robin Hood (Legendary character)
Folk songs, English -- United States -- Film adaptations.
Children's literature -- Film adaptations.
Folklore -- United States -- Film adaptations.
Folk songs, English.
- National Film Registry.
National Film Registry.
- System Details:
- DVD, region 1, NTSC; Dolby Digital.
- "[This three-disc set] includes 38 theatrical cartoons released from 1948 to 1959. Originally distributed by Columbia Pictures, the cartoon shorts produced by UPA (United Productions of America) were revolutionary, adopting the contemporary graphics of Modern design and offering non-traditional, provocative storytelling. Giving the animators at Disney, MGM and Warner Bros. a run for their money, UPA earned six nominations and three Academy Awards, and among their classic one-shot cartoons they adapted stories by James Thurber ("A Unicorn in the Garden") and Edgar Allan Poe ("The Tell-Tale Heart" narrated by James Mason). The studio tried to avoid repetition, but nevertheless presented two long-lasting characters in Gerald McBoing Boing (created by Dr. Seuss) and the near-sighted Mr. Magoo, whose first cartoon -- "Ragtime Bear"--Is also included in [collection]."--Container.
- Disc 1. Robin Hoodlum (1948) / directed by John Hubley
The magic fluke (1949) / directed by John Hubley ; commentary by Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck
The ragtime bear (1949) / directed by John Hubley ; Mr. Magoo voiced by Jim Backus ; commentary by Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck
Punchy de Leon (1950) / directed by John Hubley
The miner's daughter (1950) / directed by Robert Cannon
Giddyap (1950) / directed by Art Babbitt
The popcorn story (1950) / directed by Art Babbitt
The family circus (1951) / directed by Art Babbitt
Gerald McBoing Boing (1951) / directed by Robert Cannon ; adapted from a story by Dr. Seuss ; commentary by Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck
Georgie and the dragon (1951) / directed by Robert Cannon
The wonder gloves (1951) / directed by Robert Cannon
The oompahs (1952) / directed by Robert Cannon
Rooty toot toot (1952) / directed by John Hubley ; commentary by Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck
Disc 2. Willie the kid (1952) / directed by Robert Cannon
Pete Hothead (1952) / directed by Pete Burness
Madeline (1952) / directed by Robert Cannon ; based on the book by Ludwig Bemelmans ; commentary by Gladys Holland and Jerry Beck
Little boy with a big horn (1953) / directed by Robert Cannon
The emperor's new clothes (1953) / directed by Ted Parmelee ; based on the story by Hans Christian Andersen
Christopher Crumpet (1953) / directed by Robert Cannon
Gerald McBoing Boing's symphony (1953) / directed by Robert Cannon
The unicorn in the garden (1953) / directed by William T. Hurtz ; based on a short story by James Thurber ; commentary by Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck
The tell-tale heart (1953) / directed by Ted Parmelee ; based on the short story by Edgar Allan Poe ; commentary by Leonard Maltin and Jerry Beck
Bringing up mother (1954) / directed by William T. Hurtz
Ballet-oop (1954) / directed by Robert Cannon
The man on the flying trapeze (1954) / directed by Ted Parmelee
Fudget's budget (1954) / directed by Robert Cannon
Disc 3. How now Boing Boing (1954) / directed by Robert Cannon
Spare the child (1955) / directed by Abe Liss
Four wheels no brakes (1955) / directed by Ted Parmelee
Baby boogie (1955) / directed by Paul Julian
Christopher Crumpet's playmate (1955) / directed by Robert Cannon
The rise of Duton Lang (1955) / directed by Osmond Evans
Gerald McBoing! Boing! on planet Moo (1956) / directed by Robert Cannon
The jaywalker (1956) / directed by Robert Cannon
Trees and Jamaica daddy (1958) / directed by Lew Keller and Fred Crippen
Sailing and village band (1958) / directed by Lew Keller and Fred Crippen
Spring and saganaki (1958) / directed by Lew Keller and Fred Crippen
Picnics are fun and Dino's serenade (1959) / directed by Lew Keller and Fred Crippen.
- Videodisc release of cartoons made from 1948 to 1959.
Bonus features include: Concept art, model sheets, storyboards, color styling sketches, color continuity board, backgrounds, cel setups, publicity stills, movie posters, pressbooks, pencil tests.
Guide Includes bibliographical references.
Gerald McBoing Boing was named to the National Film Registry in 1995 by the Library of Congress.
Gerald McBoing Boing: Winner, Best Short Subject, Cartoons (Stephen Bosustow), 1951 Academy Awards (U.S.A.).
- Seuss, Dr.
Cannon, Robert, 1909-1964.
Babbitt, Art, 1907-1992.
Burness, Pete, 1910-
Parmelee, Ted, 1912-1964.
Hurtz, Bill, 1919-2000.
Keller, Lew, 1912-1996.
Mason, James, 1909-1984.
Bemelmans, Ludwig, 1898-1962.
Andersen, H. C. (Hans Christian), 1805-1875.
Thurber, James, 1894-1961.
Poe, Edgar Allan, 1809-1849.
United Productions of America.
Sony Pictures Home Entertainment (Firm)
Turner Classic Movies (Firm)
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|