Hinge pictures : Eight women artists occupy the third dimension / Sarah Crowner, Julia Dault, Leslie Hewitt, Tomashi Jackson, Erin Shirreff, Adriana Varejão, Ulla von Brandenburg, Claudia Wieser ; edited and with an introduction by Andrea Andersson, and an essay by Alex Klein.
- Catskill, New York ; New Orleans, Louis. : Siglio Press ; Contemporary Arts Center, 2019.
113 pages : color illustrations ; 24 cm
- Duchamp, Marcel, 1887-1968. Bride stripped bare by her bachelors, even (Green box) -- Influence -- Exhibitions.
Women artists -- 21st century -- Exhibitions.
Influence (Literary, artistic, etc.)
- Exhibition catalogs.
- "Perhaps make a hinge picture," begins one of the ninety-four notes in Marcel Duchamp's 1934 portfolio The Green Box. The suggestion presents a contradiction: an image, neither painting nor sculpture, that is ﬁxed in one plane but free to move in another, swinging into space. Installed across eight galleries, one per artist, this exhibition features more than ﬁfty new and recent predominantly abstract works whose ambiguous, hybrid nature honors Duchamp's "principle of the hinge." The pieces on view--including Leslie Hewitt's photo-sculptures, Erin Shirreff's dye sublimations, and Sarah Crowner's curved paintings--translate the weighty vocabulary of European modernism into a new, multi-vocal language of contemporary abstraction"--Valentina Sarmiento Cruz, from Artforum.com.
- Includes bibliographical references.
"Hinge pictures: Eight women artists occupy the third dimension" runs March 14-June 16, 2019 at the Contemporary Arts Center, New Orleans."
- Andersson, Andrea, editor, writer of introduction.
Klein, Alex (Alex P.), 1978- essayist.
Crowner, Sarah, artist.
Dault, Julia, 1977- artist.
Hewitt, Leslie, 1977- artist.
Jackson, Tomashi, artist.
Shirreff, Erin, 1975- artist.
Varejão, Adriana, 1964- artist.
Brandenburg, Ulla von, 1974- artist.
Wieser, Claudia, 1973- artist.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|