Gullah home cooking the Daufuskie way : smokin' joe butter beans, ol' 'fuskie fried crab rice, sticky-bush blackberry dumpling, and other Sea Island favorites / by Sallie Ann Robinson, with Gregory Wrenn Smith. Foreword by Pat Conroy.
- Chapel Hill : The University of North Carolina Press, [©2003].
xx, , 170 pages : illustrations, maps ; 23 cm
- Cooking, American -- Southern style.
Cooking, American -- Southern style.
- Place of Publication:
- United States North Carolina, Chapel Hill.
- In this enchanting book, Robinson presents 100 delicious, robust dishes of her native Sea Islands and offers readers a taste of the unique, West African-influenced Gullah culture still found there. 28 photos.
- Introduction. Island life; Yondah times; Times come a changin'
Living and Cooking on 'Fuskie Time. Spoken language on Daufuskie; Recipes and measurements
Healthier fixin' and mixin'
2. The Garden
3. The River
4. The Yard
5. The Woods
6. Rice dishes
7. Quick meals
8. Breads and sweets.
- "All photographs © Greg Smith."
"Set in Adobe Caslon and Rosewood by Eric M. Brooks."
- Local notes:
- Kislak Center Banks Collection copy presented to the Penn Libraries in 2018 by Joanna Banks.
Banks Collection copy: dustjacket retained.
- Penn Provenance:
- Banks, Joanna (donor) (Banks Collection copy)
- Penn Chronology:
- Smith, Gregory Wrenn, photographer.
Conroy, Pat, writer of introduction.
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Books (University of Pennsylvania)
Joanna Banks Collection of African American Cookbooks (University of Pennsylvania)
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|