Johnny Guitar / a Republic production ; Herbert J. Yates presents ; screen play by Philip Yordan ; directed by Nicholas Ray.
- Standardized Title:
- Johnny Guitar (Motion picture)
- [Chicago, Illinois] : Olive Films ; [Hollywood, California] : Paramount Home Entertainment, 
1 videodisc (110 min.) : sound, color ; 4 3/4 in.
4 3/4 in.
- Chanslor, Roy, 1899-1964 -- Film adaptations.
Chanslor, Roy, 1899-1964.
Businesswomen -- West (U.S.) -- Drama.
Outlaws -- Drama.
Man-woman relationships -- Drama.
Bars (Drinking establishments) -- Drama.
Role reversal -- Drama.
Railroads -- United States -- Drama.
Frontier and pioneer life -- West (U.S.) -- Drama.
West (U.S.) -- History -- Drama.
Bars (Drinking establishments)
Frontier and pioneer life.
United States, West.
National Film Registry.
Feature films -- United States.
- System Details:
- DVD, NTSC, region 1.
video file DVD video region 1
- Saloon owner Vienna battles the local townspeople headed by Emma, the local sexually repressed, lynch-happy female rancher out to frame her for a string of robberies. Johnny Logan is a guitar-strumming drifter with a dark past who was once in love with Vienna and has been offered a job in her saloon. Nicholas Ray's epic western is considered one of the most original westerns of all time. The women are far tougher than the men and some saw a bizarre allegory for the McCarthy era Red Scare.
- Joan Crawford, Sterling Hayden, Mercedes McCambridge, Scott Brady, Ward Bond, Ben Cooper, Ernest Borgnine, John Carradine, Royal Dano, Frank Ferguson, Paul Fix, Rhys Williams, Ian MacDonald.
- Music, Victor Young ; song "Johnny Guitar" by Peggy Lee and Victor Young, sung by Peggy Lee ; director of photography, Harry Stradling ; art director, James Sullivan ; costumes designed by Sheila O'Brien ; set decorations, John McCarthy, Jr., Edward G. Boyle ; film editor, Richard L. Van Enger.
- Originally released as a motion picture in 1954.
Based on the novel by Roy Chanslor.
Special feature: Introduction by Martin Scorsese (1995).
Added to the Library of Congress' National Film Registry in 2008.
- Ray, Nicholas, 1911-1979, film director.
Yates, Herbert J., 1880-1966, film producer.
Yordan, Philip, screenwriter.
Crawford, Joan, 1908-1977, actor.
Hayden, Sterling, 1916-1986, actor.
McCambridge, Mercedes, actor.
Brady, Scott, 1924-1985, actor.
Bond, Ward, 1903-1960, actor.
Cooper, Ben, 1933- actor.
Borgnine, Ernest, 1917-2012, actor.
Carradine, John, actor.
Dano, Royal, 1922-1994, actor.
Ferguson, Frank, 1906-1978, actor.
Fix, Paul, 1901-1983, actor.
Williams, Rhys, 1897-1969, actor.
MacDonald, Ian, 1914-1978, actor.
Young, Victor, 1900-1956, composer (expression)
Lee, Peggy, 1920-2002, composer (expression), singer.
Stradling, Harry, 1901-1970, director of photography.
Sullivan, James W., art director.
O'Brien, Sheila, 1902-1983, costume designer.
McCarthy, John, Jr., set designer.
Boyle, Edward G., set designer.
Van Enger, Richard L., editor of moving image work.
Scorsese, Martin, on-screen presenter.
Republic Pictures Corporation, production company.
Olive Films, film distributor.
Paramount Home Entertainment (Firm), film distributor.
- Publisher Number:
OF447 Olive Films
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|