Law, literature, and society in legal texts from Qumran : papers from the ninth meeting of the International Organization for Qumran Studies, Leuven 2016 / edited by Jutta Jokiranta [and] Molly Zahn.
- Leiden, The Netherlands ; Boston : Brill, 
- Studies on the texts of the desert of Judah ; v. 128.
Studies on the texts of the desert of Judah, 0169-9962 ; volume 128
xvi, 290 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm.
- Dead Sea scrolls -- Congresses.
Dead Sea scrolls.
Qumran community -- Congresses.
Jewish law -- Congresses.
- Conference papers and proceedings.
Conference papers and proceedings.
- "Reflecting the increasing recognition of the importance of legal texts and issues in early Judaism, the essays in this collection examine halakhic and rule texts found at Qumran in light of the latest scholarship on text production, social organization, and material culture in early Judaism. The contributors present new interpretations of long-lived topics, such as the sobriquet "seekers of the smooth things," the Treatise of the Two Spirits, and 4QMMT, and take up new approaches to purity issues, the role of the maśkil, and the Temple Scroll. The volume exemplifies the range of ways in which the Qumran legal texts help illuminate early Jewish culture as a whole"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction and acknowledgements
Second Temple Jewish law in light of the Dead Sea scrolls : widening the paradigm / Lawrence H. Schiffman
Were scrolls susceptible to impurity? : the view from Qumran / Dennis Mizzi
A new understanding of the sobriquet [dorshe ḥalaqot] : why Qumranites rejected Pharisaic traditions / Harry Fox
4QMMT : a letter to (not from) the yaḥad / Gareth Wearne
The place of the "Treatise of the two spirits" (1QS 3:13-4:26) within the literary development of the Community rule / Peter Porzig
The literary development of the "Treatise of the two spirits" as dependent on Instruction and the Hodayot / Meike Christian
From ink traces to ideology : a reassessment of 4Q256 (4QSerekh ha-Yaḥadb) frags. 5a-b and 1QS 6:16-17 / James M. Tucker
Yaḥad, maśkil, priests and angels : their relation in the Community rule (1QS) / Michael R. Jost
The reworking of Ezekiel's temple vision in the Temple scroll / Tova Ganzel
The Levites, the royal council, and the relationship between Chronicles and the Temple scroll / Molly M. Zahn.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Jokiranta, Jutta, editor.
Zahn, Molly M. (Molly Marie), 1979- editor.
- Other format:
- Online version: International Organization for Qumran Studies. Meeting (9th : 2016 : Leuven, Belgium) Law, literature, and society in legal texts from Qumran
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|