Sounding cities : auditory transformations in Berlin, Chicago, and Kolkata / edited by Sebastian Klotz, Philip V. Bohlman, Lars-Christian Koch.
- Zürich, LIT,  , ©2018
- KlangKulturStudien ; Bd. 9.
KlangKulturStudien = SoundCultureStudies ; band/volume 9
xix, 283 pages : color illustrations ; 23 cm.
Music -- Social aspects.
Music -- Social aspects.
- Berlin, Chicago, Kolkata - three modern cities, whose soundscapes are as different as they are similar. Historically and musically, all three cities bear witness to changing worlds, above all the diversity and multiculturalism that led to the rapid growth of urban centers from the Enlightenment to the present. It is this sound world of musical difference, which modernity subjected to auditory transformation, that is the subject of Sounding Cities. The chapters in this book draw the reader to the life of the city itself, to its streets and stages, transforming how we listen to the modern world.
- Introduction: Music and urban transformation / Sebastian Klotz
Photo essay: The MG Road wedding bands
Puja, paradox, and passage on a Kolkata street / Abhishek Adhikary and Philip V. Bohlman
I, The musical metropolis: Contemplating urban culture in ethnomusicology : a personal perspective / Bruno Nettl. The culture of the metropolis / Rolf Lindner. "Thank you for listening kindly" : musical agency in trans-metropolitan spaces / Sebastian Klotz
II, Topographies of the neighborhood: The rise and fall of Bar25 : an excursion into Berlin's techno scene / Sonja Rippert. Metal Pally : an informal inquiry into the unique heavy metal music scene of Kolkata / Patrick Sanjiv Lal Ghose
III, Interventions and the experience of urban space: Kolkata monodosis : five takes on urban intervention research / Christopher Dell. Parallel cities in your ears : transformations of urban experience in sound walks / Patrick Primavesi
IV, Trajectories beyond the global city: Dynamic diasporas : "The song of Zion" in South Asia / Philip V. Bohlman. String instruments as urban icons and rural products / Lars-Christian Koch. Performing Assam in urban spaces : Bihu on the city stage / Rehanna Kheshgi. Making Hindustani music work : avenues of friction and empathetic musicality / Kaley Mason
Photo essay: Soundscapes and streetscapes
Devon Avenue, Chicago / Philip V. Bohlman and Lars-Christian Koch
Afterword: The study of urban music from trans-cultural perspective / Sebastian Klotz.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Klotz, Sebastian, editor.
Bohlman, Philip V., 1952- editor.
Koch, Lars-Christian, editor.
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|