Courts of Chivalry and Admiralty in late Medieval Europe / edited by Anthony Musson and Nigel Ramsay.
- Woodbridge : The Boydell Press, 2018. , ©2018
- Conference Name:
- Heraldry and piracy in an age of chivalry (2015 : Exeter, England), issuing body.
xiv, 250 pages, 8 unnumbered pages of plates : illustrations (chiefly color) ; 24 cm
- Military courts -- Europe -- History -- To 1500 -- Congresses.
Admiralty -- Europe -- History -- To 1500 -- Congresses.
Courts of honor -- Europe -- History -- To 1500 -- Congresses.
Feudal courts -- Europe -- History -- To 1500 -- Congresses.
Chivalry -- Europe -- History -- To 1500 -- Congresses.
Knights and knighthood -- Europe -- Congresses.
Courts of honor.
Knights and knighthood.
- A multi-disciplinary approach to two of the most important legal institutions of the Middle Ages.
- Introduction / Anthony Musson and Nigel Ramsay
1. Heralds and the court of chivalry: from collective memory to formal institutions / Richard Barber
2. French armorial disputes and controls / Laurent Hablot
3. Art, objects and ideas in the records of the Medieval court of chivalry / Julian Luxford
4. Sir Robert Grosvenor and the Scrope-Grosvenor controversy / Philip Morgan
5. From Brittany to the Black Sea: Nicholas Sabraham and English military experience in the fourteenth century / Andrew Ayton
6. 'Armed and redy to come to the felde': arming for the judicial duel in fifteenth-century England / Ralph Moffat
7. The jurisdiction of the constable and marshals of France in the later Middle Ages / Bertrand Schnerb
8. The origins and jurisdiction of the English court of admiralty in the fourteenth century / Thomas K. Heebøll-Holm
9. The Consulate of the Sea and its fortunes in late Medieval Mediterranean countries / Lorenzo Tanzini
10. The admiralty and constableship of England in the later fifteenth century: the operation and development of these offices, 1462-85, under Richard, Duke of Gloucester and King of England / Anne F. Sutton
11. Some dubious beliefs about Medieval prize law / John Ford.
- "This volume of papers arises from a two-day symposium entitled 'Heraldry and piracy in an age of chivalry : the jurisdiction of the constable and marshal(s) and the admiralty in later medieval England and France' which was held in Exeter's Royal Albert Memorial Museum and Gallery on 4-5 June 2015."--Page xi.
Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Royal Albert Memorial Museum, host institution., Host institution
Musson, Anthony, 1966- editor., Editor
Ramsay, Nigel, editor., Editor
- Publisher Number:
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|