Arc of containment : Britain, the United States, and anticommunism in Southeast Asia / Wen-Qing Ngoei.
- Ithaca, New York : Cornell University Press, 2019. , ©2019
- United States in the world.
The United States in the world
x, 254 pages ; 24 cm.
- United States -- Foreign relations -- Southeast Asia.
Southeast Asia -- Foreign relations -- United States.
Great Britain -- Foreign relations -- Southeast Asia.
Southeast Asia -- Foreign relations -- Great Britain.
Communism -- Southeast Asia -- History -- 20th century.
Nationalism -- Southeast Asia -- History -- 20th century.
Postcolonialism -- Southeast Asia -- History -- 20th century.
Chinese -- Southeast Asia -- History -- 20th century.
- "Shows how anticommunist nationalism in Southeast Asia intersected with preexisting local antipathy toward China and its diaspora, ushering the region from European-dominated colonialism to U.S. hegemony"-- Provided by publisher.
- Introduction : recovering the regional dimensions of U.S. policy toward Southeast Asia
Darkest moment : the fall of Singapore and "Chinese penetration" in the domino logic of American Cold War policy
Patriot games : how British nation-building colonialism solved "Chinese penetration" and inspired the United States
Manifest fantasies : British-Malayan counterinsurgency and nation-building in American strategy for the world (and Vietnam)
The best hope : Malaysia in the "wide anti-communist arc" of Southeast Asia
The friendly kings : Southeast Asia's transition from Anglo-American predominance to U.S. hegemony
Coda : the reverse domino effect.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Other format:
- Online version: Ngoei, Wen-Qing, 1976- author. Arc of containment
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|