Spying on the South : an odyssey across the American divide / Tony Horwitz.
- New York : Penguin Press, 2019.
476 pages : illustrations, maps ; 25 cm
- Southern States -- Description and travel.
Olmsted, Frederick Law, 1822-1903 -- Travel -- Southern States.
Horwitz, Tony, 1958-2019 -- Travel -- Southern States.
Slavery -- Southern States -- History.
- Travel writing.
Voyages and travels.
- "The author retraces Frederick Law Olmsted's journey across the American South in the 1850s, on the eve of the Civil War. Olmsted roamed eleven states and six thousand miles, and the New York Times published his dispatches about slavery and its defenders.More than 150 years later, Tony Horwitz followed Olmsted's route, and whenever possible his mode of transport--rail, riverboats, in the saddle--through Appalachia, down the Ohio and Mississippi, through Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana, and across Texas tothe Rio Grande, discovering and reporting on vestiges of what Olmsted called the Cotton Kingdom"-- Provided by publisher.
- American nomad
Yeoman Olmsted: "An enthusiast by nature"
Over the Alleghenies: gateway to the Rust Belt
Ohio River: mutants making tow
Kentucky: "A balance sheet of good against evil"
To Tennessee and back: a thorough aristocrat
Mississippi River: Steamboat blues
Lower Mississippi: the absolute South
New Orleans: the gumbo city
Into the bayou: "Dat's how we roll"
Central Louisiana: the unreconstructed South
The Red River; heard of mudness
Across the Sabine: "Gwine to Texas"
Gulf Coast: oil and water
Crockett, Texas: "The drift of things" in ruby-red America
Austin and beyond: the Loon Star Republic
San Antonio: high holy days at the Alamo
German Texas: Olmsted in Arcadia
The Hill Country: true to the Union
Upper Guadalupe: and Absalom rode upon a mule
To the Rio Grande: border disorder
La Frontera: days of the dead
Central Park ramble.
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 420-462) and index.
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Hagen fund bookplate.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|