Imagining the modern : architecture and urbanism of the Pittsburgh Renaissance / [edited by] Chris Grimley, Michael Kubo, Rami el Samahy.
- Other Title:
- Architecture and urbanism of the Pittsburgh Renaissance
- New York, New York : The Monacelli Press,  , ©2019
367 pages : illustrations (some color), maps ; 24 cm
- Architecture -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh -- History.
Architecture, Modern -- 20th century.
City planning -- Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh -- History -- 20th century.
Architecture and society.
Pittsburgh (Pa.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
- "In the 1950s and ’60s an ambitious program of urban revitalization transformed Pittsburgh and became a model for other American cities. Billed as the Pittsburgh Renaissance, this era of superlatives–the city claimed the tallest aluminum clad building, the world’s largest retractable dome, the tallest steel structure–developed through visionary mayors and business leaders, powerful urban planning authorities, and architects and urban designers of international renown, including Frank Lloyd Wright, I.M. Pei, Mies van der Rohe, SOM, and Harrison & Abramovitz. These leaders, civic groups, and architects worked together to reconceive the city through local and federal initiatives that aimed to address the problems that confronted Pittsburgh’s postwar development. Initiated as an award-winning exhibition at the Carnegie Museum of Art in 2014, Imagining the Modern untangles this complicated relationship with modern architecture and planning through a history of Pittsburgh’s major sites, protagonists, and voices of intervention. Through original documentation, photographs and drawings, as well as essays, analytical drawings, and interviews with participants, this book provides a nuanced view of this crucial moment in Pittsburgh’s evolution. Addressing both positive and negative impacts of the era, Imagining the Modern examines what took place during the city’s urban renewal era, what was gained and lost, and what these histories might suggest for the city’s future"-- Provided by publisher.
- Lessons from Pittsburgh / Raymund Ryan
Pittsburgh as project : reimagining the modern / Chris Grimley, Michael Kubo and Rami el Samahy
Positions: words and essays. Pittsburgh's plans : triumphs and tribulations of urban renewal / Kelly Hutzell
Urban revitalization through landscape : Simonds and Simonds in Pittsburgh / Caroline Constant
A sensation of free and open space : experiencing Pittsburgh's modernism / Martin Aurand
Mapping networks : modern architecture in Pittsburgh
Media : imagining modern Pittsburgh
Sites : Pittsburgh projects
The Golden Triangle
Perspectives : interviews and salons
Imagining the renaissance
Making the modern
- Local notes:
- Athenaeum copy: Albert M. Greenfield Memorial Fund.
- Grimley, Chris, author, editor.
Kubo, Michael, author, editor.
El Samahy, Rami, author, editor.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|