Kigali, Rwanda [electronic resource] : urban agriculture for food security? / Hilary Kinka, Chimdindu Onwudiegwu, Caroline Smeallie, Shalini P. Vajjhala.
- London : University of Washington, Evans School of Public Policy & Governance, 2014.
- SAGE Knowledge. Cases.
SAGE Knowledge. Cases.
SAGE Knowledge. Cases
1 online resource : illustrations.
- Food supply -- Rwanda -- Case studies.
Food security -- Rwanda -- Case studies.
- This case evaluates the premade decision of the Kigali City Council (KCC) to incorporate urban agriculture into the city's long-term development agenda, as the primary tool to address the problem of food security. A land-scarce country characterized by a predominantly rural population, Rwanda has a history of unsustainable approaches to food security, exacerbated by the collapse of the coffee industry in the 1980s and the genocide in the 1990s. After the genocide, international donors swept in to rebuild the war-torn country, which included projects designed to combat food insecurity. After seeking out the guidance of the FAO in designing a plan to increase agricultural productivity in Kigali, urban agriculture was officially incorporated into the Kigali Conceptual Master Plan (KCMP) in 2009. There are challenges to the sustainability of urban agriculture as a solution to food security in Kigali. High population density and growing urban development have created competing interests for land and water, thereby constraining the productivity and effectiveness of UA in achieving food security goals. Additionally, dependence on the international community for a consistent stream of funding is unsustainable.
- Originally Published InKinka, H., Onwudiegwu, C., Smeallie, C., & Vajjhala, S.P. (2014). Kigali, Rwanda: Urban agriculture for food security? Seattle, WA: Evans School of Public Policy & Governance, University of Washington.
Description based on XML content.
- Onwudiegwu, Chimdindu, author.
Smeallie, Caroline, author.
Vajjhala, Shalini P., author.
- 9781526483935 (ebook) :
- Access Restriction:
- Restricted for use by site license.
|Location||Notes||Your Loan Policy|
|Description||Status||Barcode||Your Loan Policy|